Magoosh for Two Weeks?

napoleon87

Hi All,

I have my GRE in two weeks and am really bearing down now.  For the last three weeks, I've been studying off of the Kaplan books and free test materials on Magoosh and related sites.  I've taken two practice tests and scored around 158 V on both, which is around 5 points lower than I'm aiming for.

I've been steadily improving my vocabulary, which has been very helpful, but I'm still having trouble with the reading comprehension sections (primarily pacing).  Does anyone who has used Magoosh think it would be worth getting a subscription for the last two weeks?  I really liked the format of their sample test questions, explanations, flashcards, etc., but maybe taking practice tests would be more useful.

Thanks for your input!

Guest lacrosse789

I bought Magoosh to use for a month and brought my score up five points. I liked being able to work on my timing and have the predicted test score. I think it comes down to how much time you want to put into it, and if you think the $99 (for both math and verbal) is worth it. I would only get it if you could use it at least an hour a day. 

It would actually only cost you $79 to buy the 30-day version (math and verbal)!

For my first test, I only used free Magoosh materials, toying with the idea of buying the full thing. Ultimately I didn't do it but now I wish I did. I bought it for my second attempt and after two days I already felt more confident about the test. Just know that it can't hurt you, right? And like the above poster said, you'll love having the score predictor.

They have plenty of RC questions you can practice. You can customize your practice sections to do combinations of up to 500ish unique Verbal questions.

Hey fellow AH major!  

I purchased a 30 day subscription and have been running through practice questions for a few weeks now.  This morning I scored a 162 verbal on a practice test, which is a definite improvement from the mid 150s I started with.   

As the above poster mentioned, you can customize your practice. This includes level of difficulty and type of question so you can focus on reading comp.  If you can afford it, it is worth your two weeks!

Thanks, all!  I purchased the 30 day subscription and wish I had done so earlier.  I did the reading comp section last night and found it to be really helpful...worth postponing my exam another week to keep studying, perhaps.

Tangerine15 - our of curiosity, how much are you focusing on math?

Napoleon87 - Not sure where you are at, but I had to start from square one in the math department.  I have focused on memorizing formulas and orders of operations but am not devoting much time to it.  The impression I'm getting is that verbal and writing scores make the difference in our field, but it is best to have high scores across the board. 

What about you?

Edited by tangerine15

Napoleon87 - Not sure where you are at, but I had to start from square one in the math department.  I have focused on memorizing formulas and orders of operations but am not devoting much time to it.  The impression I'm getting is that verbal and writing scores make the difference in our field, but it is best to have high scores across the board. 

What about you?

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I've got the very basics down, but the harder questions are cumbersome for me.  I'm honestly not spending much time math, though I'm sure with more time I could improve.  I'd rather do really well in Verbal than get a mediocre score on both.  I am, however, wondering what the line between passable and unacceptable is for AH apps.  I'm sure that, like everything, it's weighed in conjunction with the rest of your application elements.

Painful re-memorizing the Pythagorean Theorum when your end goal is to be an art historian, isn't it?