Can I get a recommendation letter from a professor with PhD but not in the field of study of the graduate school?

Hello,

I have a questions regarding recommendation letters. Usually PhD programs ask for 3 recommendation letters (I tend to apply for Biomedical Sciences PhD). As I have been graduated since 2009, it is somehow difficult for me to get recommendation letters from professors.

I knew a professor in the field of pharmaceutical technology who did not teach me during undergraduate studies. However, I came in contact with her for the past 2 years as we were working together to help many Egyptian hospitals start providing clinical pharmacy services to their patients. She has many connections with Egyptian hospitals and asked me, based on my experience in the field, to conduct several training programs for pharmacists in these hospitals. She can comment on my work with her and my presentation and teaching skills and professional attitude.

Can I get a recommendation letter from her?

My plan is to get recommendation letters from the following:

1. Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacy who knew me for 2 years during undergraduate studies

2. Lecturer of Critical Care Medicine who got his MD two years ago and worked with me in hospital setting (He also knew me for 2 years)

3. Professor of Pharmaceutical Technology with whom I worked to develop the field of Clinical Pharmacy in several Egyptian hospitals (Notice that Pharmaceutical Technology is not related at all to Clinical Pharmacy or Biology)

Thank you!

Mohammed

Her letter may serve as evidence that I am a very effective person in my country. The work I do with her shows that I have an impact in improving the field in my country. That is to show you why I thought about that.

What do you think??

• 2 weeks later...

I think those writers would be just fine for biomedical science programs. Biomedical science programs tend to be broad, and full of professors from many sub-disciplines. Those letter writers would be especially useful if you are applying to a school that focuses on translational (medical) research, or schools where the biomedical sciences program is held within the School of Medicine. It sounds like your writers know you well, so I wouldn't worry about it.