MS/MA Stats profile eval

znw

I think I fall pretty squarely into the nontraditional applicant category.

School: BA, top 25 liberal arts college (graduated 2010)

Major: History

GRE: V 165, Q 163, AW 5

GPA: 3.54

I took no true math/stats courses while an undergrad. A shame, looking back. I'm now working the the calc sequence and linear algebra at a local community college.

Relevant Coursework:

Tested out of Calc I after taking a MOOC

Calc II: A

Linear Algebra: taking this now--expecting to receive an A

I'm planning on taking Calc III in Spring 2015. Based on what I've read in other posts throughout this thread, I'm assuming it makes good sense to also take the first one/two calc-based stats/probability courses in the general sequence in order to have a real shot with my applications, right?

A bit of background: I currently work in digital marketing for an academic health system. I took the GRE in Fall 2012, and rekindled an interest in math while studying for that exam, which led to taking the MOOC referenced above. I've been interested in tacking toward a more quantitatively-focused career path, and this interest, along with my exposure to health research and work with physician-researchers, has led me to the idea of pursuing a MS/MA program in statistics in order to facilitate this professional move. I'd not averse to biostatistics programs, but I don't think I want to rule out statistics, either.

Is it worth retaking the GRE to boost my quant score? Given my background, does it also make sense to assume I should save my money and not bother applying to top-tier programs?

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I think your GRE scores look alright. I would probably focus on taking more math classes. Your GPA is probably a little low for some of the top tier programs but if there is one or two that you are passionate about it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. Spoke with another forum member here and it looks like I should be able to take calc-based probability and mathematical statistics through Penn State's online program, so I'll plan on tackling those as soon as I'm finished with Calc III. Not my first choice to take these courses online, but there unfortunately aren't any cost-effective night-time options in my area.