Ohio State

FaultyPowers

Hi everyone!

Is anyone else planning to apply to OSU? I am!! Is anyone else stressing about the November 19th deadline (for fellowship consideration)? I am!!!!!!!

I'm not, though they do have an amazing bioarchaeology program, but my advisor received her PhD from OSU.  I only live about an hour and a half from Columbus.  However, I really want to get out of Ohio.  Been here long enough.  Lol.  What do you want to focus on if I may ask?

I'm interested in biocultural bioarchaeology, with an emphasis on paleopathology. What's living in Ohio like overall? I'm from the Bay Area so I kind of thrive on a...I guess I'd say "weird", eccentric vibe. I'm kind of thinking I'm not going to get that in Columbus!

Oh ok...that's cool.  That's sort of where I'm leaning a little towards as well.  My main specialties include paleopathology, paleoepidemiology, and paleodemography.  But I'm also interested in stable isotopic analysis to study diet and migration patterns.  Do you know what region or time you're more interested in?  For instance, I'm more interested in Ancient Rome and Greek, but my specialty spans all of antiquity through the middle ages.  

Actually, Columbus isn't as straight edge as people would think.  There's a small portion of Columbus right off of OSU's campus that is called the Short North.  It's more of the artsy district and they have a lot of antique shops and art studios.  That's also the main location where the gay population hangs out since there's about 5 gay bars in 1/4 mile radius from each other.  Lol.  

Actually our interests are highly similar!

Most of my programs have encouraged me to emphasize the biocultural approach itself, but I'm interested in development and ontogeny, bone remodeling, the biological consequences of developing social complexity, the emergence and spread of infectious disease and the social consequences of those diseases on the individual and within the larger population. I'm ALSO interested in diet, particularly in differential access to dietary resources and diet as a reflection of social status or social circumstances (including disease), which I imagine would be well served through a combination of stable isotope analysis and zooarch. Regionally I'm ALSO interested in the Mediterranean! I actually hesitated to list out everything because our interests are weirdly similar! It would be super awkward if we were also applying to the same schools, but I don't believe we are.

And actually, it's looking like I won't be applying to Ohio State after all. One of my letter writers, who has known me longer than either of the others, told me on Friday that he would be out of the country and out of all email contact until the middle of December...and that he leaves tomorrow. And since Ohio doesn't send invitations to recommendation writers until after you submit the application, I don't see it happening. I would have to submit the entire shebang today...which I could probably do but it would be a real rush job.

Yeah, it does sound like we have a lot in common.  Most of the schools that you put on your "applying to" field I actually looked at and crossed off my list.  The only one that remains is UNLV.  But here's the caveat with that school.  I talked to Dr. Debra Martin, the main bioarchaeologist there, and she said that unless your topic is centered around violence, then it might be harder to get in there.  I saw her at the AAA conference last year and she warned me against applying since most of my interests stray away from that topic mostly.  But I'm still planning on applying because I'm also interested in evidence of violence in the Roman Empire, especially how the violence differed in geographical ranges, i.e. Britannia and Rome.

Is there no way for you to contact OSU and tell them your situation?  I know sometimes they'll be more lenient because of things that are out of your control, like a professor going out of the country.  

I just decided yesterday that I'm going to apply after all. I'll get a letter from another member of my department and write my POI to explain the discrepancy. So that means I should get cracking on that SOP I guess!!

yeahhhh i claled but his secretary wont put me trough. She tells me "just write to him" and i am explaining to her that i HAVE. ..but no. its not meant to be u guess :( i wanted to work with Dr. Larsen. 

Daisy123, Dr. Larson is a very busy man.  If you haven't gotten a response back after 72 hours from your initial email, then try emailing him again.  I'm not sure how good it will be to attempt to work with him though because I do know that he has a lot of grad students right now and he might not be accepting students right now.  OSU has a lot of different bioarchaeologists or professors that work within the field.  Check out a couple more professors there!!!

Daisy123, Dr. Larson is a very busy man.  If you haven't gotten a response back after 72 hours from your initial email, then try emailing him again.  I'm not sure how good it will be to attempt to work with him though because I do know that he has a lot of grad students right now and he might not be accepting students right now.  OSU has a lot of different bioarchaeologists or professors that work within the field.  Check out a couple more professors there!!!

Hello! I am sorry for not replying earlier. I figured that this is true and decided not to apply. Though i really thought that the program was very well suited to my needs, i just cant get in contact with my 3rd letter of recommendation writer in time for the 19th deadline :( 

So is anyone else applying? I've got my absentee letter writer issue sorted out and my SOP about two sentences away from completion. Today's the day!! 

Super! congrats- if you want, when you are ready lets swap SOPs?