LOR written by postdoc and signed by PI?

susieq7975

I've worked in two separate labs under postdocs so I asked both of them to write me a LOR with a signature from the PI's. I've already contacted the PI's and they agreed to sign the letters but should I just have asked them to write the letters instead of having the postdocs write them? It's just that I know the postdocs can write stronger letters than the PI's since I've worked with them closely whereas I see the PI once a week for lab meeting but that was pretty much the only contact I had with them. I don't want this to have a negative affect on my application :( I wouldn't be as worried if the majority of my recommendations were from professors but 2 of my letters are from postdocs and the last one is from a staff scientist at my current job.

I think that the key point is to have the letters from PhDs who know you well. A letter from a postdoc who know you well is better than a letter from a professor who do not you as much.

Good luck! 

That's how it works in most places actually. Where I study, big research profs never write the letters, instead have their grad students write them, even if you ask the professor directly. Actually I also think it is better having someone that knows you well (like the postdoc) write the letter.

Thank you so much! I listed the postdocs as my recommenders on the application but is there a way to list somewhere that they are co-signed by the PI or would they just figure it out when they read the LOR?

Usually you would list your professor/PI as the letter writer and the PI will sign the letter but the postdoc will either write the first draft or just provide "talking points" for the professor to write about. I would not even put the postdoc's name on the letter or on the application. That is, the letter should appear as if it comes from the professor, although the content might come from the postdoc's evaluation of you.

If I was a professor and I had a postdoc write a LOR for me about a student, I would indicate that I know most of this information about the student through the postdoc and that I agree with the postdoc's assessment. However, it would still be a recommendation from me, not from the postdoc. But this is something you don't have to worry about--it's up to the PI on how they want to handle the letter. 

In your shoes, since it sounds like you might have told the PIs that the postdoc will be the official LOR writer, I would clarify with the PIs again that you will be putting their names in your application system (many applications say they prefer faculty members, not postdocs anyways).