How's it going so far?

Anonymona

@breaks0: I just got done with my semester about a week ago, but I'm finally back on Grad Cafe! Best of luck, everyone!

PS: this time next year, I'll be participating in the waiting game once again! I'm in a terminal MA program, so PhD apps are just a year away!

Edited by gingin6789

I've completed my applications to 9 schools, and wasn't sure if it was allowed or frowned upon to contact potential advisors or faculty, so I didn't. Is this going to be a significant disadvantage to my application? And should I do it now (better late than never kind of thing...)? 

We talked about e-mailing professors a few months ago in In addition to us applicants, a faculty member who sometimes posts on this board gave us her perspective. I think you'll find it a relief. I wouldn't stress out about sending e-mails at this point - instead, congratulate yourself for finishing your apps and find a fun distraction until the end of January.

I had two nightmares about the quality of my SOP this week - Needless to say, my anxiety dreams cannot change anything about my acceptance/rejection chances now.

Re: emailing profs: wouldn't it be seen as too late now, and perhaps as a "last ditch effort" to get a possible advantage in the admissions process? If I am wrong, please ignore this, as I do not want to hurt anyone's chances of getting in touch with a POI!

How is everyone dealing with the struggle of waiting for decisions to be delivered? Netflix? Reading? Research? Obsessively checking e-mails and application statuses even though you know the school isn't likely to respond for a while?

It's such a struggle. I've been forcing myself to go to the gym more often, and as a result, I haven't been that stressed out. Just impatient. I've been filling my other free time with working overtime and hanging out with friends as much as possible.

I feel like the days are moving unusually slowly.

What about you?

Only about 2 weeks left of waiting before I hear from my first school (if it's good news).

According to the results search, one of my top programs sends out early acceptances: end of Jan/beginning of Feb. 

These two weeks to go seem both interminable and uber-fast at the same time. 

Disaster. I just got my course grade from the prof who's written my 3rd reference for a sociology seminar and she gave me a b+. Her ref is based entirely on my performance in this 1 class and I'm pretty sure this'll torpedo all my apps. I have an ma and am reapplying after last year's failed apps. I have nearly a phd program's worth of graduate credits, somewhere around 60 from 3 diff universities and in all that time I never pulled worse than an a- , partly because I've heard for years you don't wanna get less than that. A grade like this might be tolerable if I were already in a phd program, but I'm not thats the whole point. I'm so beyond screwed financially if I don't get a funded offer, this leaves me pessimistic about my prospects since multiple other areas of my apps are weak.

Breaks0, don't overthink it. Grades are very subjective and maybe she is a hard grader. A B+ doesn't mean that she wrote a bad letter of reference. We are all stressed out about applications. Hang in there!

I had a really good interview with one school and then this morning I heard from one of my top choices and I got in!!! Before this I actually wasn't convinced I would get in anywhere - now (assuming I get in to other places since I got into this place that is fairly highly ranked) I guess I have to start to weigh my options between school ranking and research interest.... 

How is everyone dealing with the struggle of waiting for decisions to be delivered? Netflix? Reading? Research? Obsessively checking e-mails and application statuses even though you know the school isn't likely to respond for a while?

Lots of golf and snowboarding. And some reading.

Edited by anonymous_soc

Lots of golf and snowboarding. And some reading.

Exercise is always a good distraction, and I've been reading a lot too. As soon as I start to work on projects, though, or get too bored, I find myself on here scouring the results search and checking my email five times a minute. I'm dying to hear back, good or bad (but hopefully the former).

Edited by uselesstheory

Exercise is always a good distraction, and I've been reading a lot too. As soon as I start to work on projects, though, or get too bored, I find myself on here scouring the results search and checking my email five times a minute. I'm dying to hear back, good or bad (but hopefully the former).

Thankfully my e-mail pushes to my cell, so I just get notified when I get one instead of having to refresh. The anxiety definitely lingers in the back of my mind though.

Hopefully more decisions start coming in soon. Best of luck to you this admissions season! To where did you apply?