Listing an unfinished Master's degree in my application...

IncomingPhD2017

I find myself in a bit of predicament and was hoping for some advice.  Many programs require that I list all schools attended, which would include a Master's degree that I did not finish. I do not want to list this, but I fear getting "caught" not listing it (which I find frustrating, because I feel it should be my right to withhold that specific information...)

But what further complicates this issue (or merely frustrates me) is my master's degree was a Master of Divinity, ie. I went to a theological seminary and then decided to switch to Sociology, which leads me to where I am today.

So, I suppose I have to list my year at seminary for those schools that demand complete knowledge of my educational history. But, do you think that putting this seminary on my applications will significantly hurt my chances of getting into a program? Sociology is staunchly secular, and I was hoping to avoid mentioning my religion on my application; has anyone else had this particular issue arise in their application process?  And, should I list the seminary even for those schools that don't explicitly request a listing of my complete educational history?

I should also mention that my grades were fine at the seminary, all A's with only a few B's. So the issue is not my grades, but just the seminary as a religious institution itself.

I am a fairly strong candidate otherwise, though not exceptionally strong; my GRE is 166 verbal, 158 quant, 5.5 writing, and my main strength is that I have a publication in an academic journal even though I'm coming straight from undergrad (with the exception of the year spent at a seminary). But this issue with the seminary is troubling me a bit.

Any thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

I would list it. My husband is applying to PhD programs this fall and he is including the MA he didn't finish. It's part of his history. If there is concern on your part about not finishing you can use your statement of purpose to explain "I attended seminary until I realized that my vocation lies in another direction." Nothing more really needs to be said. (If you went to Bob Jones or another college/university that might be viewed askance you *might* consider being more detailed in explanation, but even in faith-based circles not everyone knows those schools.)