PhD in Chemistry - Nanomaterials and Material Science

arani.b52

Hello,

I am a student from India and will be applying for a PhD in Chemistry for Fall 2015 session. My area of interest is nanomaterials and material science.

BS - 70% (1st in class)

MS - CGPA=7.44 (out of 10) ; rank 10 out of 60 in class

GRE = 319 : 155V (67 %ile), 164Q (88 %ile), AWA=5.0 (93 %ile)

TOEFL = 113 (R=28, L=29, S=27, W=29)

Applying to : Chemistry Department; Specialization: Nanomaterials, Material Science

Universities applying to:-

• Ohio State University
  • The Pennsylvania State University
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Washington - Seattle
  • University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
  • University of Maryland - College Park
  • University of Massachusetts - Amherst
  • University of Southern California

Other relevant details:-

• One paper on a joint project with Max Planck Institute under preparation.
  • Good LORs from professors with decent reputation in their fields.

P.S.- I joined Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore for PhD this year. It is the most premier research institute in India. Should I mention this in my application? I ask this because some of my MS professors say that it might do me good since it indicates that I am eligible for research in such a premier institute. Hence it may elevate my profile.

Also, please let me know about how much should by Subject GRE score be to have a positive impact.

Please feel free to suggest me any other good university that suits my profile.

Thanks in advance.  :)

It has always been a goal to pursue my doctoral studies in the US. I couldn't apply for the Fall 2014 session due to a minor administrative glitch while receiving my passport. I decided not to waste a year and remain involved in research work. Hence, I joined a PhD program in India. But that has never been my preference. I can explain in details as to why I want to switch. I'm just asking whether it would be wise to include this in my application. Or do I not mention anything about joining a PhD at all?

P.S. Also, please tell me if I stand any chance in getting into any of the universities I have mentioned. 

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You will need a recommendation from your current PhD advisor that shows he is fully aware and fully supportive of your actions. A lot of schools are very reluctant in accepting students currently in another graduate school and some schools even say in their FAQ they refuse to accept them.

I think you have good chances in most of the universities listed with your good credentials. I am not sure about university of Chicago though as they ask for cGRE score. How's that for you? To my opinion, you should proudly mention that you are currently ongoing at a premier institute like IISc though you want to expand your horizon by utilising cutting-edge infrastructure at US universities that research scholars often are devoid of being in the developing countries. Be sure to mention these in your SOPs and try to get reco from your current advisor. Have you already applied? I have also applied to some of the above and now just bitting my nails upto March (?). All d best!

• 1 month later...