Linguistics Summer Institute

JD - (0)

Hello Linguist, this Topic is to discuss The Linguistic Summer Institutes, who is going? who is thinking about it, and who has already attended. Feel free to comment, question, or provide info.!

To start, who is interested in attending this event for summer 2015? and who has already attended and can offer some info?

I am interested in attending because of the lexicography course. but I am thinking of taking other courses as well. Also, how does it count in the different Universities?

I really want to go!! It'll be nice to take some challenging courses for once! A bunch of people whose work I love will be there as well, so it'll be a good excuse to introduce myself to them and get to know them :) 

Hi guys!

I was at the last institute so feel free to ask any questions. :) If the units you take at the institute will count or not depend on your home institution... ask your department chair or your graduate advisor about it. My program at the time didn't accept units from the institute at all. 

I definitely want to go to the next one. Fingers crossed!

Ok, is there a max/min amount of classes? how many classes can one take? 

Does the price vary depending on amount of courses?

How is birthing arranged? or is not excluded?

What else do you do there beside the class?

Ok, is there a max/min amount of classes? how many classes can one take? 

Does the price vary depending on amount of courses?

How is birthing arranged? or is not excluded?

What else do you do there beside the class?

You can take up to 5 classes officially. No minimum. If you want to take more than 5 classes, you can ask Professors if you can sit in in their classes (but those won't be in your transcript).

The price won't vary - tuition is X, and X will allow you to take up to 5 classes officially. You can chose if you take these classes for a grade, pass/fail, or audit.

Sorry - I don't know what you mean by birthing. :(

Besides classes, there are several institute lectures, workshops, and small conferences that you can attend. If you visit the last institute's website (http://lsa2013.lsa.umich.edu/) it will give you a good idea of the kind of stuff that goes on during the institutes. 

You also meet a bunch of linguists from all over the world so there's a fair amount of socializing as well. :)

Awesome. by birthing, I mean living arrangements

This will probably be listed on the website at a later date. I know they listed prices for on-campus housing by night and type of room in previous years.

Awesome. by birthing, I mean living arrangements

This will probably be listed on the website at a later date. I know they listed prices for on-campus housing by night and type of room in previous years.

Oh I see! :)  Yes, they will probably offer some sort of on-campus housing; whatever price that is, it will be in addition to tuition. At the last institute I found housing through craigslist and it was less than 1/3 of the price of the housing options offered by the University... so it might be worth to look for stuff on your own (since it's summer, there are a lot of students subleasing their places)

Does anyone know to how difficult some of the courses listed under Introductory Courses would be? If I can make it I'd like to take Experimental Syntax or Sentence Processing, but I've only taken a Generative Syntax course (as far as syntax goes) and I don't want to end up being in over my head.

Does anyone know to how difficult some of the courses listed under Introductory Courses would be? If I can make it I'd like to take Experimental Syntax or Sentence Processing, but I've only taken a Generative Syntax course (as far as syntax goes) and I don't want to end up being in over my head.

The introductory courses are pretty introductory - I don't think they require any background on the topic. :)

How are these courses structured?

How big are the classes? Lecture hall or seminar style?

Are these courses intended for undergrad or grad students or both?

Hi there,

The structure of the courses depend on whoever's teaching it. Some can have a lot of homework, others will have no homework at all, exams, group projects, etc... it varies a lot.

How big the classes are depend on how many students are interested... I think the bigger they can get is around 50/60 students. Some only had 10 students.

The courses are intended for both; the introductory courses are more oriented for undergrads and grads with no background in that topic, while the more advanced classes are in general geared towards grad students.

Hope that helps! 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it is not up yet, according to the LSA 2015 FAQ page: "Applications will most likely be available online in early 2015." http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/lsa2015/faqs/

More information is here, in case you haven't found it yet: http://www.linguisticsociety.org/meetings-institutes/institutes/fellowships

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Question to those applying for a fellowship -- it seems that the entire application needs to be done at once. Does this mean I can't send my recomenders the official notification for recomendations until I've submitted the app?

Also, anyone get one of these in the past who has tips for the essay?

Edited by gradadvisor

• 4 weeks later...