Kindly evaluate my SoP

Kindly evaluate my SoP. I am applying for MS/PhD programs in Electronics Engineering. My biggest concern is the absence of research publications. I cannot screw up my sop, hence help me out with your expert opinions.

“If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it”

-Steve Jobs (on how to do great work), Stanford University, 2005.

I have always carried these words around somewhere in my conscious mind, reminding myself to travel the path that intrigues and inspires me; to never settle, nor compromise, regardless of what the odds may be. However, I only truly understood the essence of Jobs’s words towards the beginning of my sophomore year, when I came across an article ‘Wireless Sensors That Live Forever’ (Sally Adee, IEEE Spectrum) about self-powered autonomous miniature wireless sensors, that brought to my attention an unfamiliar technology, viz., Microelectromechanical Systems. Thus began my journey exploring the fascinating world of MEMS through articles, research papers, computer simulations and research projects; inspiring several ‘Aha!’ moments along the way. I aspire to leave my footprints in this field; working towards the democratization of MEMS and a future of ambient intelligence. In this endeavor, I want to contribute significantly to society in particular and graduate education is imperative in achieving these goals.

Growing up in a small Corporation city, amidst economical constraints and in a patriarchal society where technical education for women is still a rarity, I was always motivated to empower myself with education and break free from the middle class complacency.  As I had aligned myself to pursue a career in research, I made conscious efforts way back from my school days to soak in all the knowledge available and held a special knack for Physics as it helped explain the behavior of systems and processes.

Throughout my school career, I consistently maintained excellent academic records and also excelled in extracurricular activities such as Drama, English Elocution and Debate. In school I was the Head Girl, shouldering responsibilities and managing fellow students, and at home I was the electronics handyman, waiting to get a peek inside the packaging of devices and tinker with the electrical or mechanical components that make it functional. My aptitude in science and mathematics and a desire to study their practical applications prompted me to opt for technical education; and my childhood hobby of taking apart electronic gadgets made Electronics Engineering a fitting discipline. On completing high school, I appeared for the XX where I was ranked in the top 2% of all appearing students, and qualified to be a part of the undergraduate program of Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering (IEE) Department at XXXX University where I hold a GPA of 8.75 out of 10.0.

I gave my utmost commitment to my undergraduate studies at XXXX University, India; a premier centre of research and learning, which is also reputed to be one of the best engineering colleges of India. During the last three and a half years of my college, I have undergone core courses which were complemented by various practical assignments and projects. I have excelled in courses such as Electronic Devices, Material Science, Circuit Theory, Electronic Circuits, Digital Electronics, Fundamentals of Instrumentation, Analog Integrated Circuits etc and their corresponding Laboratory work; which facilitates a strong conceptual framework for research in the field of MEMS. I have been exposed to the methods of scientific research conducted in our educational institution and attended various Workshops and seminars conducted by our department in which esteemed Professors from elite universities of the country (the likes of Indian Institutes Of Technology, Indian Institute of Science) were invited to deliver lectures. My association with the XXX chapter of the International Society of Automation has given me the opportunity to keep up with recent developments in the electronics and automation industry.

In order to explore the subject beyond the course curriculum, I have been involved in a number of guided research projects. At the XXXXX, I worked under the guidance of Professor XX XX towards development of MEMS Capacitive Accelerometer for the XX Cell of XXXX. I worked on the COMSOL Multiphysics platform in designing, characterization and tuning of Non linear spring element; specifically studying the softening spring effect and bandwidth widening during frequency down-sweeps. Through this internship, I gained insight into the modeling of MEMS components and also the experience of collaborating with a larger organization, making it a tremendous learning experience.

In order to familiarize with the Electronics Industry, I trained at the Electronics Division of XXXX, an integrated power plant equipment manufacturer and one of the largest engineering and manufacturing companies in India that specializing in Power Semiconductor Devices, Solar Photovoltaic and Automation Systems. Here I got the opportunity to study state of the art technologies in the Electronics Industry, their testing, performance analysis and diagnosis. Interactions with various industry professionals from a broad range of specialties helped me gain a comprehensive overview of how the organization functions.

I have also remained a research intern at the XXX facility in the XXXXX: a recipient of the XXXXXX headed by Dr. XX XX. Here I have been working on designing and prototyping an iontophoresis device for controlled and non invasive transdermal drug delivery using an Atmel microprocessor. This device also employs a feedback loop to measure skin impedance for optimal drug delivery. I have single handedly designed the device which we plan to release commercially after appropriate testing and necessary adjustments. During my time there, I also worked on the instrumentation of a portable multi-analyte sensor for blood and urine for XXXX, a Startup organization involved in advanced but affordable healthcare solutions.

For my undergraduate dissertation, I am working under Professor XX XX at the IC Design and Fabrication Centre, XX XX on heterojunction devices for gas sensing applications. This project aims at fabricating and determining the current-voltage characteristics of M/ZnO/p-Si/Al heterojunction device structure combinations and use optimum combination junction to develop gas sensor.

To encourage MEMS research among my peers, I have given a presentation on MEMS Sensors and their role in enabling the Internet of Things, in fulfillment of a practical course on Seminar in my junior year and excelled in it.

In the 21st century and moving forward, energy will be the bottleneck for all human endeavors, with diminishing conventional resources, inefficient usage and inadequate alternatives. It is imperative for contemporary electronics to consume less energy and more efficiently; and the proliferation of MEMS technology across systems and domains is a step in the right direction. Microelectromechanical Systems allow low and efficient energy utilization as well as energy harvesting and scavenging; opening newer doors in low and ultra low power Microsystems with higher precision and increased reliability. Another aspect of MEMS that fascinates me is the ability to interact with Biological systems and mimic them for novel and unprecedented solutions. In the last decade MEMS sensors have become the sensory organs of modern electronic gadgets. From Smartphones to Iron Man’s armor, from navigation systems to safety mechanisms; they are everywhere. However, in spite of the wide range applications, MEMS faces its share of challenges and impediments.  A major challenge for engineers and designers is to facilitate less expensive ways to develop next generation MEMS devices as well as seamless integration of MEMS and electronics in a monolithic process. I am enthusiastic about delving deeper into this domain and tackling its challenges through my MS and PhD.

At this juncture I would also like to point out the fact that I am a dedicated volunteer of empowerment through education and have in the past worked with a Non Governmental Organization: ‘XXXX’ in advocating for the Right to Education of underprivileged children in my city and sensitizing citizens towards the issue. In order to bring about this social change, I surveyed various slum areas and government funded primary schools, interacted with various sections of the public; established a volunteer base and oriented them about the scenario and the need for intervention. These volunteers have through their continued efforts been instrumental in increasing the number of children in the area enrolled in a school and also counsel these children and organize social events for them. At home I have tutored the children of our domestic maid and also constantly counseled their family to restrain from child labor practices. I intend to continue volunteering for social change and anticipate many such opportunities there.  I also look forward to exploring extracurricular interests such as psychology, puzzle solving, music and film making on campus.

Although I have gained much knowledge in Electronics during this entire journey from school to the college, the gamut of knowledge that still remains to be explored is boundless. I strongly believe that a graduate study at XX University is the best way that can really help me achieve my goal.

XX University boasts of an enviable track record where path-breaking research has gained ground in an atmosphere full of scientific temper enabled by a culture of empowerment. Granted an opportunity, I look forward to being a part of this great institution.

Applying to- UC Davis, Penn State, USC (Viterbi), Virginia Tech, Northeastern University.

Edited by Megamind003

Although i am also in process of writing my SOP and no expert in this domain, but after reading your essay i have few points to make:

->Specifically mention your current aim i.e M.S or PHD or MS leading to Phd in first paragraph itself

->Adhere to word limit .Your essay is 1500 words long. Admission committee at many universities are very strict about word limit.

->Rather than generically mentioning XX university, search departmental website, shortlist one of two professor working in your area.Provide a brief mention how you connect to them through your work.

->It is good thing that you have mentioned how MEMS fascinates you, it would be good idea to mention what are the areas on which research can be extended. 

Adding to previous replies:

Remove the story about your high school and extracurricular activity as it is very less relevant. The admission committee would only love to hear your academic and research performance in your undergraduate, and/or your professional career.

• 1 month later...

I am applying for MS in CS. I will appreciate it if someone can evaluate my SOP.

At first I thought Computer Science is indeed cool as a career option. So I wanted to persuade it. But after starting my career as a Software Engineer, when I saw people are using my codes to find out the results of some simulations and my company is selling them to others, I felt a sense of exhilaration. My company appreciated my efforts and I was getting feedback about features that “it shouldn’t be that way” or “wow, I wanted this feature” and many more. Then I sincerely start thinking how can I make those products better and how should I maintain codes for later maintenance and  reusability. Only then, I came to understand how important details are and that made me feel that there are lacking in my undergrad study. So, I started learning things like algorithms and data structures. But at the same time, I came to understand, though online courses can enhance my knowledge, the best way I can hone my knowledge is through the traditional methodological way. It will give me a strong base so that I can go through later steps in more courageous way. For that reason, when I immigrated in US, I thought of taking a break in my career and persuading my Masters in Computer and Information Science emphasizing in Software Engineering and Systems Software.

Though along with my industry experiences I learned a lot about Software Engineering, I think, I didn’t do a good job in my undergrad. So, I don’t feel confident about my skill. That’s why whenever I think about what do I want to achieve in my career later on, I can’t think about taking responsibilities or helping others to learn something with my current skill. My wish is to  having a firm understanding of the advanced concepts of Computer Science so that I can be able to contribute significantly towards my professional growth with better analysing power in real time projects. I believe, I will be able to explore and exploit different practical aspects of Software Development models, Design Patterns, Requirements Engineering in a methodological way in my Masters program. With better understanding about Software Engineering and Systems Software, I will be able to take responsibilities of things that I am doing and can make my career path towards a more responsible direction and can grab opportunities to the fullest extent.

I have consulted with my colleagues and professors about my choice of University. The University of xxxx’s curriculum consists core courses to design and implement large-scale software system that  will help me get significant experiences with complex software development for real-world problems. The practical oriented core courses will allow me to get better understanding about QA, design pattern, advanced software techniques, algorithm design & analysis. Dr. yyyy and Dr. zzzz’s pioneering work on software engineering also encouraged me a lot. I believe the University of xxxx will help me to augment my knowledge base and will add value in my professional goal.