Re-take or move on?

raisinbagel

Hi all :)

I'm in the process of applying to top-tier PhD programs in marketing (with a specialization in consumer behavior) for fall 2015. Took the GRE last month, froze up and wound up with less than stellar scores: V160, Q156, AW4.5. I mistakenly waited too long before taking the test and don't have enough time to prepare for another re-take before the submission deadlines this winter. I checked the websites, but the majority of programs don't post mean/median scores, so I can't tell if I'm way off from a 'cutoff.' I've also heard mixed opinions about whether the GRE really holds that much weight in the face of relevant research experience and interest.

I think that other areas of my application are strong:

-3.9 GPA from top-tier undergrad university

-2 years of research experience in undergrad

-2 years of relevant work experience doing research in consumer behavior

So my question is: considering my GRE scores aren't terrible, is it worth it to postpone my application til fall 2016 and retake the test? Or should I just apply this winter and see what happens? I would hate to wait if a re-take won't really help my application, but if my chances are truly low, then it's probably worth it.

Anyone have similar experience? Advice?

Apply! Those are above average scores. Dont psych yourself out of applying. Everyone is nervous but just give it everything youve got and if you dont get in anywhere then you can improve areas of your application and reapply next year. If a school likes your application in general then I highly doubt that they will snub their noses at your above average scores and throw out your application.

I got a 156 on the verbal so I'm taking it again (I did get a 5.5 writing score, though). I'm praying for a 160. Although I don't think it matters much since I'm going into Spanish, I'm also freaking out about scores. If you want to re-take them and have the time to study, go for it. If you don't have sufficient time to re-take them then you'll have no choice but to move on.

Edited by BeatrizBear