working as lab tech before phD

acwneuro

I am in the process of applying to neuroscience phD programs and my professor suggested that I work as a lab tech for 1-2 years to get more lab experience. I am worried that these jobs are hard to find. I went to a small liberal arts college that does not have a grad school. I am afraid that the larger universities hire the students who went there as undergrads. I want to get additional experience in a neuroscience lab not just general lab tech duties.  I checked out NIH health website and their program sounds good (research pre-phD) but I worry it is really competitive. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about this?  Anyone taken this same route before applying to grad school?  Anyone know anything about NIH programs?

Yes, bio forum has lots of knowledge.

But since I'm here, I'd highly recommend working before starting a PhD as it will teach you new skills, pay you a salary to save up, and help you decide if you want to continue in your field. Sounds like you want some specific neuro experience, and I'm sure there are plenty of labs out there; if you're near NYC there's a boatload!

Ask on interviews how much research independence you'll have so you don't end up being a hired hand. As for NIH, their program is competitive but not necessarily a great situation, it depends on the lab you join. I used to work with someone who did that program, and (I'll be incredibly blunt here) she was a damn idiot and clearly didn't learn anything while she was there. Feel it out, go on interviews, find the right situation and a supportive PI.

I worked for 4 years before starting my program and it has put me far ahead of others in terms of lab skills, hypothesis building, and general lab managerial ability. Classes are an adjustment so maybe only work for 2 years and don't meander like I did. :)

I went to a small university and worked as a lab tech. You are right that it's hard to get a technician job at a university, but there's a lot more out there than academia. Industrial experience is not a negative and can actually make you look more interesting compared to the number of people who have only worked in academic labs.

It can also show other career options outside of the academy, which I personally think is extremely valuable considering how hard it is to get a tenure-track position.

Talk to your undergraduate advisor, or any other professors that know you well, and see if they know anyone who might be looking for a research technician. Its not so much that PIs like to hire undergrads from their own institution, its that PIs want to hire someone they know or someone that has been positively recommended by a colleague. You need to find someone that can vouch for your skill, work ethic, etc.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I am meeting with my advisors again soon. I almost feel like it will be just as hard to get the lab tech job as it is to get into a phd program.

Is there a specific field within neuroscience that you are interested in? If so I would look up PI's that are well known in that field and email them to see if they have openings or will have future openings in their labs. You can look up through the NIH if they have NIH money to know which labs are well funded or not. I know a few people who emailed PI's, the labs didn't have advertised positions but the PI's like them and created a job for them. It will take a while though. Some PI's won't respond, some will say NO but you could get lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend e-mail PIs even when there is no job posted. I actually found a job that way, but I already had a lot of lab experience. If you're still a student and you don't have a lot of lab experience you may also offer to volunteer in a lab during your spring semester to train, but make it clear that you're doing so to prepare to take on employment as a technician upon graduation. 

I also made the mistake of volunteering in a lab second semester senior year only to find that the lab didn't have money to hire me as a technician. Luckily I found a job, but I didn't have the ability to choose the field of research. I really had to just go where the money was. 

If your advisor/mentor is telling you to do it, it's because they don't believe you're ready for grad school yet. Take their advice and do a 2 year (that's usually the minimum asked for) tech job. You'll be applying against people who have done this, and they'll come in with years of experience and the ability to say 'yeah, I've worked in relative field for 3 years, here's the papers my name is on/that I wrote, and this is all the experience to back up why I want to do this grad program.' Also, if you work at a school you'd like to do your grad program at, it helps.

I agree with AnonLady. Working as a tech before grad school is quickly becoming the norm and is a great way to not only boost your credentials but also to determine whether grad school really is for you. Finding a tech position can be very difficult, but it is not impossible. Reach out directly to professors you are interested in, look at science jobs websites, and talk to professors at your school for advice. As long as you have an interest in learning + some luck you should be able to find a position after some looking.