GPA Addendum

waitingchan

Can someone give me advice for my low GPA addendum? Anyone has experience on how to write, if at all?

There were some issues/hardships in my family and my grades were harmed because of this, but my concern is, there isn't really an upward trend in my uGPA, should I even write an addendum at all? I hope it does not leave a bad impression (finding excuses..ect)

The word limit is 600 so I kept it short, which I should anyway.

Thanks so much in advance!

Admission Committee, 

I would like to provide an explanation for my low GPA. 

During freshmen year when I left home for the first time in life, my family went through a tragic event (details can be provided if needed) Now that I became mature, independent and emotionally strong, I believe my undergraduate GPA does not fully represent my capabilities in further education. Please take this information into account when you evaluate my application. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Edited by waitingchan

I don't think it is wrong to use the addendum, but I think you need to actually state something more than.  I  had a "Whoops", all better now.  For example, since you say you don't really have the trend of uGPA going up, then where is your evidence that you can perform better?  You should point out what the issue was, how you have corrected it, and the evidence that shows it.  What you wrote there just says that you don't think its accurate reflection but you have zero supporting evidence to show for it.  You say you became more independent, emotionally strong, and more mature.  How?  What did you do that gave you that, how did it reflect in your academic success?  Also I'd leave out the "when I left home for the first time in life"...most undergrads leave home for the first time in their life as a freshmen...what makes your situation more excusable than the person who got a 4.0 while doing that?  That sounds like a cop out excuse.  If there was a tragic event, you should at least give it credibility by stating what it was. 

Basically your whole statement is wishy washy.  I'd re-write with more fact based and let that reflect why the total cumulative gpa is not an accurate story of what you are doing now.

I don't think it is wrong to use the addendum, but I think you need to actually state something more than.  I  had a "Whoops", all better now.  For example, since you say you don't really have the trend of uGPA going up, then where is your evidence that you can perform better?  You should point out what the issue was, how you have corrected it, and the evidence that shows it.  What you wrote there just says that you don't think its accurate reflection but you have zero supporting evidence to show for it.  You say you became more independent, emotionally strong, and more mature.  How?  What did you do that gave you that, how did it reflect in your academic success?  Also I'd leave out the "when I left home for the first time in life"...most undergrads leave home for the first time in their life as a freshmen...what makes your situation more excusable than the person who got a 4.0 while doing that?  That sounds like a cop out excuse.  If there was a tragic event, you should at least give it credibility by stating what it was. 

Basically your whole statement is wishy washy.  I'd re-write with more fact based and let that reflect why the total cumulative gpa is not an accurate story of what you are doing now.

Hi! great input! I had a lack of facts because the addendum is limited to 600 characters, right now, this is in the high 500s characters, I can definitely remove some wording (such as left home part) and put more facts, but I can't really write out the details because of the character counts. Should I give out what the family issue was? Some people suggested not to do that, so I didn't put any details and put "details can be provided if needed" instead, in case they want to interview me, is that the rigth thing to do?

There is no upward trend in my uGPA but I took post bac classes at university extension and got 4.0, should I mention that?? I feel they can see it through transcript so I didn't bother to write it out. But maybe I should at least mention it??

Thank you so much for these great suggestions!!

600 word limit should still be doable. just keep it succinct. family hardships didn't allow you to have a fair shot at focusing on school, so your grades suffered. does it automatically mean you deserve a second chance? no, but you took extension classes and got a 4.0, so it shows you can do well when you're able to focus

i'm curious what your GPA is though and what programs you're aiming for. i'm in a similar boat with having an (extremely) low gpa. i know what im going to say for my apps; whether it will be persuasive i have no idea

600 word limit should still be doable. just keep it succinct. family hardships didn't allow you to have a fair shot at focusing on school, so your grades suffered. does it automatically mean you deserve a second chance? no, but you took extension classes and got a 4.0, so it shows you can do well when you're able to focus

i'm curious what your GPA is though and what programs you're aiming for. i'm in a similar boat with having an (extremely) low gpa. i know what im going to say for my apps; whether it will be persuasive i have no idea

Hi, thanks for your input. My GPA is 2.8, which is definitely one of the lowest for grad school applicant. I'm applying for Healthcare administration, more of a professional degree rather than academic, so it offsets a little bit. I feel addendum can go both ways, either they dislike you or they forgive you.

Is it 600 words or 600 characters? You say different things in different posts. If you have 600 words, definitely provide more detail along the lines of what Peachypie and jetvermillion suggested. Even if you only have 600 characters, there's a lot of 'filler' in what you wrote that you could take out so you can include more specific info e.g.

Admission Committee, 

I would like to provide an explanation for my low GPA. 

Please take this information into account when you evaluate my application. Thank you for your time and consideration. 

They know all this already (who you're writing to, why you're writing, and that you want the to take this info into consideration).

Is it 600 words or 600 characters? You say different things in different posts. If you have 600 words, definitely provide more detail along the lines of what Peachypie and jetvermillion suggested. Even if you only have 600 characters, there's a lot of 'filler' in what you wrote that you could take out so you can include more specific info e.g. They know all this already (who you're writing to, why you're writing, and that you want the to take this info into consideration).

600 characters! They know what I'm doing, but I think I should at least use some words to show politeness, I don't think that's a problem. But I will definitely cut some uneccessary information I agree. 

I guess I was asking more on if it's worth it to write one at all, since it's not like I have straight As and suddenly 2 D/Fs, nor an upward trend towards senior year :( shame....

Thanks everyone!

Edited by waitingchan

600 characters! They know what I'm doing, but I think I should at least use some words to show politeness, I don't think that's a problem. But I will definitely cut some uneccessary information I agree. 

I guess I was asking more on if it's worth it to write one at all, since it's not like I have straight As and suddenly 2 D/Fs, nor an upward trend towards senior year :( shame....

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, the bottom line is you'll never know until you apply.  The advice you will get on whether to include this information or not is seriously all over the place--even from the "experts".