Verbal + AWA Confluence? (158V/162Q, 5 AWA)

asianthings

I'm a senior from a pretty decent LAC, applying for an MA or PhD in East Asian Languages and Culture or Asian Studies. I'm guessing given my topic of study, the Q doesn't really matter -- not that the score was doing me any huge favors as is. 

I intend to apply for top 10 programs, but am concerned that my verbal may be a slight detriment. Given that the rest of the application be up to snuff, is it possible that the AWA would possibly make the V not look as poor? I'll retake the GRE if I need to, but I feel as though it shouldn't play as much a role in my field as others.

Major GPA > 3.9

GPA > 3.7

Rhodes and Marshall Nominee

3 study abroads at top mandarin language programs

a few publications

involved and an athlete

Thoughts?

Your scores look pretty good in my eyes (as do your other stats and experiences--good job!). But who am I to say, I have the same scores except 4 points lower on V  :( My understanding, after reading lots of admissions info online, is that the AWA can't really make up for anything--the verbal score stands for itself. But I am no expert. You can probably get a better answer if you ask the programs you are applying to. 

Good luck!