Absent PI- considering new PhD program altogether

Apologies in advance for the long story. 

I started my PhD in an immunology program in the fall of 2013. Throughout my first year of classes+rotations I never really found a lab that I fit into: most labs had poor funding, not enough room for new students, or just projects I interested in. I rotated in a lab outside of my program with a cancer biology focus a great reputation: good funding, happy, successful students, productive and meaningful research. I left immunology to join the new program (molecular bio) so that I could be in the lab. I passed quals and looked forward to starting my thesis work in my new lab and program. 

Major problem: My PI, who was supposed to return from maternity leave in January 2014, never came back to the lab. She was becoming more and more difficult to get a hold of, and to this day I have never seen her in office. She does not attend thesis committee meetings, seminars, conferences, lab meetings, office hours, or journal clubs. Others are starting to panic and morale is at an all-time low in the lab. I am contemplating applying to immunology programs elsewhere to get into the type of research I originally wanted to be a part of and leaving with my masters. I want to be excited about my work and I need mentorship. Am I jumping the gun? 

If I do decide to leave, should I be contacting PIs at universities I am applying to directly so that they know me on some personal level, understand my complicated situation, and can vouch for my application? Application deadlines are coming so soon and I can't seem to decide whether I should wait this out a few more months and see if anything changes or if I should just cut my losses and move on with my career now while I still have time. 

No, You are not jumping the gun. dumb qustion but have you emailed your PI? Honestly I would convey everything you have said here in an email to her. She is supposed to be your mentor, she clearly isn't doing her job. I would be honest with her and let her know that the situation has to change.  If that doesn't work, I would go to other PI's in your department for advice. IF none of that is helpful/works out then I would consider leaving with your masters. Your're is a crappy situation because of the time of the year. Apps are due around Dec 1. You are going to have to decide quickly.

. She is supposed to be your mentor, she clearly isn't doing her job. 

@ilovelab And you know this how? Have you read her job description? Do you have access to communication she's had with her department and the school? Have you read said PI's performance evaluations? Are PI's obligated to mentor their graduate students? (The answer, unfortunately, is no.)

The point I'm making is that the PI is not doing what the OP wishes she should do. That doesn't automatically entail that she's not doing her job. By suggesting that the OP's efforts to address the former should be informed by an assumption of the latter ("the situation has to change") you are recommending that the OP escalate an uncomfortable situation before obtaining more information or by acknowledging the (often unfortunate) power dynamics of graduate school.

@justmeandmycells Yes, you are jumping the gun. Have you made an effort to identify other professors in the department who would be interested in mentoring you? While these professors may not have your PI's exact fields of expertise, they may have the skills to guide you through your current crisis of confidence? Have you talked to those in the know for additional insights IRT your PI's disposition?

@ilovelab And you know this how? Have you read her job description? Do you have access to communication she's had with her department and the school? Have you read said PI's performance evaluations? Are PI's obligated to mentor their graduate students? (The answer, unfortunately, is no.)

The point I'm making is that the PI is not doing what the OP wishes she should do. That doesn't automatically entail that she's not doing her job. By suggesting that the OP's efforts to address the former should be informed by an assumption of the latter ("the situation has to change") you are recommending that the OP escalate an uncomfortable situation before obtaining more information or by acknowledging the (often unfortunate) power dynamics of graduate school.

@justmeandmycells Yes, you are jumping the gun. Have you made an effort to identify other professors in the department who would be interested in mentoring you? While these professors may not have your PI's exact fields of expertise, they may have the skills to guide you through your current crisis of confidence? Have you talked to those in the know for additional insights IRT your PI's disposition?

I definitely  didn't phrase everything correctly. The OP shouldn't escalate the situation and make it awkward as hell. Avoid that at all costs.  I think the OP still should talk with the PI and let her know that OP needs more mentoring. The PI isn't obligated to mentor their grad students but, she did accept the OP into the lab. I don't think a PI would except a grad student to need no/minimal mentoring to complete their PHD. I could be wrong.

Thanks for your input, guys.

@sigaba and @ilovelab, you are right, nowhere does it say that a PI is obligated to mentor their students. In the little communication that I have had with her, however, I did say that I need guidance and mentorship and she agreed. Historically, students in this lab have received great mentorship from her and have gone onto great jobs and endeavors, which is part of the reason I joined the lab in the first place. This is also why I expected her to be around and a mentor. It's not just about the lack of mentorship, though. She does not attend ANY meetings at all! Sometimes she makes promises that she will come to meetings/presentations and ends up not showing up at all. No one is surprised when this happens, at this point.

I have talked to others in the lab and they are similarly worried about this issue. There are 3 new graduate students (including myself) as well as a newly hired postdoc. We are all confused and not sure what to do. We don't really know what is going on with her but are beginning to be concerned that it is a very serious issue. 

Talking to other faculty is a good idea, but I am afraid to ask for a co-mentor without my PI's permission. I am also unsure about asking for co-mentorship if I do end up leaving. I don't want to get others involved if in the end I won't be here after all. 

I have managed to schedule a meeting with my PI this Thursday and I absolutely plan on telling her my concerns. 

If there is a Director of Graduate studies then I would talk to them. Explain the situation and your concerns, then ask them what options are available. Keep your explanation to the facts, rather than voicing speculations. Don't attempt to "diagnose" your PI, that isn't going to help anyone. Seek out an informal mentor at first, rather than a full co-advisor. 

It will be difficult to apply to new programs without letters of reference from your current PI - it is something that AdComm's would expect to see. If you think that there is a risk your PI wouldn't be a reliable letter writer, then you will probably have to cultivate another mentor/co-advisor anyway.