What to do if denied

Belleraphone

I'm graduating this spring, and I decided to attend grad school next year only if I was accepted to my top 5 choices (Colombia, Duke, Berkeley, UPenn, WUSTL). I will apply to easier grad schools next year, but if I am denied this year I've decided to work on paying off my student debt. So, if I get denied what can I do to boost my application now that I've already graduated? I currently live near one of these unis,  can I approach some professors in the department and ask to assist in research with them? Should I just try to do more internships?

Thanks a lot for any help.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd recommend against applying to anything like a "safety" school for grad also.

But as to your question, just get more experience in the field(s) you're applying to. Depending on your intended major(s), that can look like: taking relevant class(es); volunteering for a relevant cause, organization, or in a relevant capacity regardless of the cause; doing research (in a lab, as an assistant, independently, or even helping out at a lab); tune an older paper up and turn it in for a conference; look for guest lecture opportunities; get a relevant certification; read more about your field(s) so you can craft better SOP's; directly approach professors in the nearby school and ask them what you could do to improve your application for next year.

Outside of that you could also: find better LOR writers; improve your GRE scores; get better at writing, or teaching, or researching (whichever matters most for your schools); cast a new net and find additional top choice schools you may have missed or discounted previously; ask trusted professors or academics for advice on improving your SOP.

If it's your dream, don't give up! This was a great exercise for me, because I have fears about this also - now I know what I would do! 

When I didn't get in, I took Feb-October to seriously work on my research. I worked a full time no but also started to learn a language (which pertains to my research), consulted with recommendation letter writers. But the main thing is to seriously take the time to reasses, regroup and if need be rewrite you sop (and writing sample if applicable). What im saying is Don't waste the year! That way when you reapply in your sop you can tell the committee just what you have been doing improve your app since graduating. Best of all, you will be honestly speaking.

Most of all take the summer to have fun and be certain that graduate school is what you really want to do.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

To the original Poster,

You can gain research experience and a paycheck by working in a lab, while paying off student loan debt. This looks awesome for your CV, make sure you express to the PI//mentor when you interview that you want to manage your own project, and your career goal is to attend graduate school. THIS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!!! The PI will be impressed by your motivation and will treat you more like a graduate student and less like a technician. You will be more likely to be given independence and possibly get on publications/abstracts.

Thanks for asking this question!

I'm in the same situation as you and also have the same question!

One of my backup plans is to apply for the NIH postbac IRTA program (but I'm afraid I might not get in this either, so I will also try to find a research assistant job).

However, I'm not really sure when to apply (should I wait until April, until the results come out? but would that be a bit late?).

Also, I'm not that sure where to find RA jobs (I've tried searching by google. Is this how most people find jobs?)

Thanks for any advice.  :)

Also, I'm not that sure where to find RA jobs (I've tried searching by google. Is this how most people find jobs?)

Ask professors that you are close with at your current university. They may have an opening for a gap-year position, especially if it is a bigger lab. If they do not, they may have a better idea of where may be hiring. For example, they might have a colleague at a different university that is looking for a project manager. If they cannot pay you, ask if you can volunteer or if they would support your independent research project.