Macro (policy and advocacy) concentrations - recommended work/volunteer experience

RCtheSS

Hello!

I am in the process of narrowing down a list of MSW programs for (hopefully) Fall 2016 enrollment. I'm particularly looking into schools offering a dual degree opportunity within public policy (e.g. Michigan, UT-Austin, Pennsylvania, Washington, UCLA). I currently work as a research assistant at a non-profit social policy advocacy organization in D.C., and would like to pursue an MPP/MSW to continue working within this field.

My question is, do you think two years of policy research would be sufficient for admissions into an MSW program if I make clear that I wish to pursue a policy/research-oriented line of study? I've been thinking about opting for AmeriCorps after working where I am for 2 years (I was thisclose to accepting a position if I hadn't received my current job offer) which could push back my enrollment to 2017 or 2018. I do have previous volunteering experience from college which can attest to my ability to work with different populations within a community. I've been on the look-out for similar volunteer options since I relocated but I'm still getting used to a real full-time schedule.  <_<

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. I realize we're in the midst of then Fall 2015 admissions cycle, so best of luck to you all applying!

I can say that I got into the MSW and MPP programs at UChicago with less experience than that! I ultimately decided not to do the dual degree (partially because I got a scholarship from SSA but not Harris, so it would have been v. expemsive in my eyes) but I only had 1 americorps term between undergrad and grad.

Well congrats on your admission regardless! UChicago is definitely on my list of dual degree programs. I guess my concern is not having a full-time position (paid or unpaid) dedicated to direct service, but I suppose it's worth a shot so long as I clearly explain my research interests and long-term career goals within social policy and how both degrees will assist me.

Also, awesome avatar! So happy that Homestar Runner has updated its site after so long.  :lol:

haha, thanks! is there a particular reason you want to do the dual degree instead of just the MPP? Schools such as SSA and probably similarly situated MSW programs (maybe Michigan in particular) definitely accept people who do not want to be in direct practice. 

I want to make sure that I have a full understanding of children and families when it comes to implementing and evaluating social service programs. Basically, while I see myself going into the research and analytic side of things (whether it's government or non-profit, who knows), I don't want to be too far gone from the ground-level of the communities I'm advocating for. I realize that most folks who go into an MSW policy concentration probably don't do a direct-service field placement, but I wouldn't shy away from the opportunity if possible. 

I double majored and double minored in undergrad, so I feel like I have a knack for this sort of junction, haha.