Resume for PhD Programs

lvm0312

Hello,

I am applying to PhD programs in political science as well some public policy PhD programs in the Washington DC area. While I know that a CV would be ideal for PhD programs, I am not a traditional student. I have worked for a federal agency since undergrad and have gone to obtain two master's degrees (political science/international affairs). Most of my academic works have been in a classroom setting with one undergrad research conference. Does anyone have any advise on what to include in my resume?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I would love some guidance on this as well. I making an academic CV is quite difference from making a resume, but for someone without any publications, how should I format a CV. Do I emphasize my thesis research in the CV for example?

I did find that University of Texas has a template: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/government/_files/pdf/admissions-forms/GOV_application_CV_template.pdf

So that is at least some guidance.

Grad student here.  I created a resume-style document when I applied.  As applicants, you likely don't have the experience to really create a traditional CV.  I would advise you to worry less about the actual formatting of the document and just make sure you get all of the necessary information across in a clear, concise, professional manner.  To the original question -- I don't see why you wouldn't list all of the items you mention.  

Regarding the thesis question: you can certainly list information on your thesis under the education section, but unless you submit your thesis as your writing sample, it honestly probably doesn't hold much relevance in the scope of your overall application.

Regarding work experience: I worked for 5 years between undergrad and grad school and asked this question back when I was applying.  The only real reason to list work experience on your resume is to tell admissions committees what you've been doing since school.  Unless your past work applies directly to performing academic research, it is highly unlikely to really matter when committees review your applications.  

Work experience prior to graduate school may guide your research interests, provide insight that helps you when teaching, and generally provide you with a stronger personal motivator for *why* you actually want to go to grad school, but admissions committees are more interested in about whether you have demonstrated your ability to succeed in an academic setting. 

I guess my point is that it's important to list these things, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the CV/resume.  Your writing sample, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are far more important components of your application.