Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

Is 3.5 on the Writing section of GRE too low for Penn GSE?

The most competitive program at Penn GSE appears to be the PhD, and I think the average--even for that program--is 4.4. Bearing in mind that higher and lower scores make up an average (and the admissions committee will look at an application holistically), I don't think a 3.5 would be an absolute bar; however, I would contact GSE and confirm that there isn't a minimum score requirement. Also, google "penn gse class profile," and I think you will quickly find the current numbers, including scores, age ranges, etc. That information may give you some additional guidance. Best of luck!

Just submitted my application and I'm very excited!  Anyone know what happens next?  They have a new application system this year so I haven't been able to find much about where/when we can expect to see a decision, if they are going to confirm receipt of materials, etc.

Just submitted my application and I'm very excited! Anyone know what happens next? They have a new application system this year so I haven't been able to find much about where/when we can expect to see a decision, if they are going to confirm receipt of materials, etc.

Jillian125--

I'm still trying to figure out how to quote and reply, so sorry for my empty response above.

From what I understand, once the application system shows "submitted," all future correspondence/updates will come from Penn GSE. I submitted a similar question via the application "help desk" (inquiring whether there would be any additional status updates via the application system), and that is what they told me. Since admissions decisions won't be made until next year, I'm guessing it may be a little while; however, I hope that part of the process includes Penn sending an email confirmation that the application is complete and/or has been sent for review. Fingers crossed!

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Jillian125--

I'm still trying to figure out how to quote and reply, so sorry for my empty response above.

From what I understand, once the application system shows "submitted," all future correspondence/updates will come from Penn GSE. I submitted a similar question via the application "help desk" (inquiring whether there would be any additional status updates via the application system), and that is what they told me. Since admissions decisions won't be made until next year, I'm guessing it may be a little while; however, I hope that part of the process includes Penn sending an email confirmation that the application is complete and/or has been sent for review. Fingers crossed!

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Thanks so much, tchrsquirrel!  My application does show "submitted," and all of my letters are in, so I guess I shall just wait!

However, I was under the impression that admissions decisions are made within 4-6 weeks.  At least, that's what I thought for my program (MSEd in Intercultural Communication)!

Thanks so much, tchrsquirrel! My application does show "submitted," and all of my letters are in, so I guess I shall just wait!

However, I was under the impression that admissions decisions are made within 4-6 weeks. At least, that's what I thought for my program (MSEd in Intercultural Communication)!

Must stop using my iPhone to reply...keep making mistakes!

I apologize; I didn't even consider that the dates of admissions decisions may differ by department and/or degree sought. You may very well be correct about the masters; I am applying for one of the doctoral programs, and the process takes several months, from what I can tell.

I hope you get the answer you want in short order!

Must stop using my iPhone to reply...keep making mistakes!

I apologize; I didn't even consider that the dates of admissions decisions may differ by department and/or degree sought. You may very well be correct about the masters; I am applying for one of the doctoral programs, and the process takes several months, from what I can tell.

I hope you get the answer you want in short order!

Not a problem!! Best of luck to you! :)

Anyone here make it to the Open House at GSE today?  It was very informative!

I was there, too!  The session was incredibly informative!  Someone (may be it was you?) asked your question about admissions responses.  The panel indicated that master's degrees admissions are rolling (with few exceptions), and an applicant should have a response within four to six weeks of his/her completed application.  Again, I apologize for my general response a few days ago; I am applying for a doctoral program, and it's an entirely different process.  I wish you luck and success with your application!

I was there, too!  The session was incredibly informative!  Someone (may be it was you?) asked your question about admissions responses.  The panel indicated that master's degrees admissions are rolling (with few exceptions), and an applicant should have a response within four to six weeks of his/her completed application.  Again, I apologize for my general response a few days ago; I am applying for a doctoral program, and it's an entirely different process.  I wish you luck and success with your application!

That was me!  I asked what happens after you hit submit.  Haha!  Same to you!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Anybody else applying to Educational Linguistics? 

Fingers crossed!! :)

Ps.: I`m an international student and would like to know if you guys can share with those who werent able to make it to the Open House any valuable information, especially for the PhD. :D

travelgirl125--

Any updates? The six-week estimated response has to be drawing near, right? I have my fingers crossed for you. EdD/PhD deadline was yesterday, so we have a way to go.

Thanks so much! :)  There was a slight delay due to the new application system, so my application was just filed as "Ready for review" on 12/1.  So I still have a bit of time to wait as well!

When do you expect to hear back?

Thanks so much! :)  There was a slight delay due to the new application system, so my application was just filed as "Ready for review" on 12/1.  So I still have a bit of time to wait as well!

When do you expect to hear back?

I'm so glad to hear your app has been sent for review. I know my biggest fear was that my app was somehow incomplete; receiving confirmation of my completed app was a relief in and of itself! And the countdown officially begins!

For PhD and EdD, there are interview weekends, which occur in February. I believe that final decisions are made in late-March/early-April. Pretty daunting. At this point, I'd be flattered to be invited for an interview...and pinching myself over an offer of admission. The doctoral programs are super competitive, so I have tempered my expectations accordingly!

Best of luck to you!!! Hopefully your new year will kick off with some great news!

Hey guys!

Anybody else applying to Educational Linguistics? 

Fingers crossed!! :)

Ps.: I`m an international student and would like to know if you guys can share with those who werent able to make it to the Open House any valuable information, especially for the PhD. :D

Hi! I don't know how much I can help, but I will try. The open house was conducted in two sessions. The first was a nice overview of all programs. It was great to hear from admissions reps, program directors, and professors; however, I think this session was geared more toward prospective applicants who had not yet picked a program of interest as the information was pretty general (most of which could be found on the website with enough digging!).

The second session was a breakout session by department. I can't speak to details regarding your program because I did not attend that particular breakout session. For me, this session was quite informative. We had the opportunity to speak with professors and current students in the program. The student with whom I spoke was great...very willing to share her time and information. I suspect that if you contacted the school, they would happily provide you with the contact info of a student who could answer any questions you may have. Every time I have contacted GSE, they have been top notch!

I hope that helps, at least a little. :) Good luck!

Thdus82--

Which program? I think I responded to one of your other posts re: GRE scores. Sounds like you have a solid app! Best of luck!

Thanks!  I really appreciate your comments on my previous post :)

I applied to their doctoral program in higher ed.  What about you?  Best of luck to you as well! 

I'm so glad to hear your app has been sent for review. I know my biggest fear was that my app was somehow incomplete; receiving confirmation of my completed app was a relief in and of itself! And the countdown officially begins!

For PhD and EdD, there are interview weekends, which occur in February. I believe that final decisions are made in late-March/early-April. Pretty daunting. At this point, I'd be flattered to be invited for an interview...and pinching myself over an offer of admission. The doctoral programs are super competitive, so I have tempered my expectations accordingly!

Best of luck to you!!! Hopefully your new year will kick off with some great news!

I hear ya!! Always nerve-wracking when dealing with things like that.

Wow, what a process!  Best of luck to you as well...update us when you hear more! :)

Thank you for your insights! (Still learning how to quote here!)

That makes a lot of sense that each division had its own discussion.

Best of luck for you too! :)