Vanier CGS (2014-2015 competition)

DanJackson

• 2 months later...

Hi all - 

I have some questions about the Vanier and I'd appreciate your thoughts on my situation. I am an American with a BA who has received two offers of admission into Canadian universities. School A has accepted me directly into their PhD program and School B is offering to "fast-track" me into the PhD stream after one year of MA work (they do not offer direct entry from the BA to the PhD for Int'l applicants). My POI at School B has said that they are prepared to nominate me for the Vanier when the time comes (so after moving into the PhD stream, sometime in 2016-17). I am surprised that this potential nomination is even being discussed as it seems a bit early!

Okay now for my onslaught of questions. How do schools choose who to nominate? Do some schools have a better chance at getting these scholarships than others (e.g. does something vague like prestige or some other quality factor in?)  Are schools only allowed to nominate one student? Really what I'm trying to assess is: How much weight should I afford this nomination offer, especially since it will be awhile before I am eligible?

For reference, both programs are giving me full funding though the stipends differ. Feel free to message me if you'd like more specifics.

Or go ahead and tell me to, "Google it your damn self!" lol

Thanks

Each school is allowed to nominate students up to a certain quota for a three year period. If I remember correctly, this year is the last year of the current three year cycle. In terms of who they choose to nominate, the general process is that you submit your full Vanier application to the school and they pick the most qualified candidates (based on grades, research, leadership activities, and the like) to send to the national competition. It's hard to find numbers for success rates but based on some digging and back of the envelop calculations, I think the success rate is ~28% but there is variation across schools.

MissAnthropology - feel free to message me, as I can shed some light on this question from personal experience!

Also - just got a notice from Trudeau that my application is not continuing - so they must have eliminated mine right away! If you haven't gotten such a note, perhaps there's hope? And I'm still hoping for Vanier!

Here's what the note said:

February 11, 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for your interest in the 2015 Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships Program.

The large field of excellent applications we receive annually makes the selection process extremely rigorous.  We regret to inform you that your file was not among those retained to advance further through the selection process.

Please accept our best wishes for the pursuit of your doctoral studies.

Sincerely,

Josée St-Martin
Scholarships Program Director

My supervisor and I talked about this during my interview, although I am in a more formal 2 year MSc. + 3-4 year PhD. We spent my first year trying to further enhance my profile so that I could apply at the beginning of my second year. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, while my professor wanted to nominate me (and offered me his nomination for our lab), I still had to have my department accept me as their nomination for SSHRC, followed by a review at the university level before sending them off to Ottawa. I am also an international student from the U.S.

Edited by sdt13

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can hold both Trudeau and Vanier at the same time...? I would be shocked if this is the case, but I see on people's academia.edu profiles that they are Trudeau/Vanier scholars...

Hey folks, wondering if anybody has any thoughts about this. I noticed on that, although there is a total of 600 possible nominations for each funding agency, for the SSHRC Vanier. Does anyone know

a) if this is normal?, and

b ) why would that happen? Are schools just not sending forward their full quota of nominees?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting pretty anxious to hear the results. Just tell us already!!

Edited by sarah-bellum

Hey folks, wondering if anybody has any thoughts about this. I noticed on that, although there is a total of 600 possible nominations for each funding agency, for the SSHRC Vanier. Does anyone know

a) if this is normal?, and

b ) why would that happen? Are schools just not sending forward their full quota of nominees?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting pretty anxious to hear the results. Just tell us already!!

As per http://www.vanier.gc.ca/eng/allocations_by_university-liste_d_attributions.html

Eligible Canadian universities receive three-year allocations based on 600 total nominations per federal granting agency (CIHRNSERC and SSHRC). These three-year allocations have been determined for the 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 competitions. (Note that the first set of triennial allocations was calculated for the 2009-2010, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 competitions.)

As per http://www.vanier.gc.ca/eng/allocations_by_university-liste_d_attributions.html

Eligible Canadian universities receive three-year allocations based on 600 total nominations per federal granting agency (CIHRNSERC and SSHRC). These three-year allocations have been determined for the 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 competitions. (Note that the first set of triennial allocations was calculated for the 2009-2010, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 competitions.)

Oh, I see - I totally missed the "three-year allocation" bit and thought it was 600 per year. Thanks!!