Vanier CGS (2014-2015 competition)

DanJackson

Actually... Look at this page - and read the 2014 evaluation report called "Evaluation of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program":

http://www.vanier.gc.ca/eng/news_releases-communiques.html

It shows that they have not been able to use up all the awards because they feel they don't have enough qualified applicants. So rather than lower the standard and award to the best students who apply in any given year, they simply choose not to award the full number they can! It's pretty strange actually.

You have to click through quite a bit - but it's here: http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/48761.html

• Although the Vanier CGS award is open to students worldwide, 8 out of 10 institutions were not able to identify enough suitable candidates to fulfill their nomination quotas at the end of the first allocation period. The shortfall of suitable applicants nominated was not due to a lack of interested candidates as institutions screened out a little over half of all applicants in the first stage of the selection process." - GULP.

I'm going to be stuck on a transatlantic flight when the results come out...only makes the wait that much harder.

Any International applicants (I'm one) in the mix? Good luck all around! 

I'm from the states, if you consider that international :-P

Anyone know what time the announcement usually goes up? should we start checking at midnight, or do they wait until business hours?

It's unlikely that it'll be released at midnight, but I don't think that will stop any of us from actively refreshing in the midnight hour.

trying really hard to prepare for both good and bad news, guess which is easier? lol

It's unlikely that it'll be released at midnight, but I don't think that will stop any of us from actively refreshing in the midnight hour.

trying really hard to prepare for both good and bad news, guess which is easier? lol

know the feeling! I keep trying to imagine getting the bad news in order to prepare myself... but my mind much prefers to imagine the good news haha. probably best to stop thinking about it altogether, although that's much easier said than done.

know the feeling! I keep trying to imagine getting the bad news in order to prepare myself... but my mind much prefers to imagine the good news haha. probably best to stop thinking about it altogether, although that's much easier said than done.

I just woke up from a chilling dream where I was handed the bad news in an envelope, in a room full of people...gulp

In looking at the forum for past years it seems to have come late or sometime during the afternoon of the day results are being released. lets hope we dont have to wait too long. best of luck to everyone who applied!

I feel lucky to be on the west coast. Ideally I will just wake up and it will be afternoon on the east coast and I'll have the results....but that's only if I can actually sleep Monday night @_@

I feel lucky to be on the west coast. Ideally I will just wake up and it will be afternoon on the east coast and I'll have the results....but that's only if I can actually sleep Monday night @_@

Actually, I don't know if this is good. I just remembered I have a meeting first thing in the mornin with my supervisor, as well as have to invigilate an exam right after (also with my supervisor). While I will obviously share the results, part of me is afraid finding out in front of him.

lol, sarah-bellum we should trade, my leadership was 5.5

And again, they only awarded 55? They are under-awarding every single year and didn't use anywhere near the number of awards they have. It's really quite dissapointing. What a fail!

I've been offered a Vanier SSHRC. Still reeling from the news... 

The best of luck to everyone waiting on news, and to those of you who heard back- it was such an intense application and nomination process, you are all amazing. Thanks DanJackson for starting up this forum.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I just found this forum. I know it might be too late. But, I was wondering whether any of you know about a CIHR- Vanier awardee who has declined or is going to decline his offer this year. Thanks. 

• 2 months later...