LOR Decision Help

Stats2015

I am applying to PhD Statistics programs for next fall and I have to make a decision about my third LOR. I am double majoring in Math and Economics, so I am stuck between two Professors for my third letter. My first two LORs are as follows:

• Mathematics Professor I worked on a Math/Biology research project with for 2 years
  • Biostatistics Professor I worked on a Statistics research project with during an REU studying forensics

I want to go into Computational and Applied Statistics with an emphasis in the Social Sciences (i.e., Sociology, Criminology, and Economics). For my third LOR, I have to decide between the following two options:

1) Statistics Professor

• took two classes with, he stated he would write that I "was in top 10% of both classes"
  • did a capstone for Mathematics major with him that he said had I “completed a good capstone paper”
  • I am currently working on a fixed effects research project with him, but we have only been working on it for a few months and the most he said he would be able to say about my research potential was that I've “shown real interest and dedication in the research project”
  • currently in a computational statistics class with this Professor but I didn't do well on the first exam

2) Economics Professor

• took two classes with, was top student in both classes, both of which involved a lab with applied problems using various forms of regression analysis
  • did capstone for Economics major with him which I feel was strong work but he didn't comment specifically on it
  • I am currently in his graduate level Statistical Inference class using Casella and Berger and although I am not the top of the class, I am holding my own with all the other PhD students even though I am an undergraduate student
  • when I asked him about a letter of recommendation, he said that it would “definitely be a strong letter of recommendation” even without having done research with him

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I would really appreciate any feedback that anyone might have as to which they feel would be a stronger letter to present to graduate committees. Thank you for your time!

Edited by Stats2015

I can see the advantage in having an LOR from a Statistics Professor if you are going into Statistics and I think any positive remarks you can get regarding research are a plus, but I can also see that the Economics Professor seems to have a more positive message in general.

You might be able to use the Economics Professor as an LOR emphasizing your ability to handle graduate level work.

Sorry, I know I'm not helping much. It's a tough call. Maybe a current graduate student or Professor on the forum might be able to provide more insight.

I would say to go with the Econ prof- it seems as if you already have two LORs that will speak well about your research abilities. It may be helpful to have the third person be someone who doesn't necessarily know you in that context, and that still has something positive to say.

Either way they both sound like good choices. I don't think it will make a huge difference in the end.