Addressing minimal experience in research in SoP

Although I might seems a bit ambitious, I want to study at top universities. But it seems that many applicants who have various research experience belittle my application. Unfortunately I came from Indonesia which has limited opportunity to do research outside of academia. I put this condition which affect my lacking experience in research. Please take a look a part on my Statement of Purpose below:

My graduation was a major turning point in my life. Indonesia had not reached the technological advancement which provide variety of job in my particular field. Most of available careers were software engineers in a small to middle sized software houses, none of which is related to research, except working in campus. Due to financial constraint I have to overcome, which my parents are now in non-productive age group and working in campus in Indonesia would not give enough support for living, I decided to step out of academic life and work in an enterprise hoping that I would also gain experience in solving actual problems.

is it okay to state that?

Edited by gmh

Although I might seems a bit ambitious, I want to study at top universities. But it seems that many applicants who have various research experience belittle my application. Unfortunately I came from Indonesia which has limited opportunity to do research outside of academia. I put this condition which affect my lacking experience in research. Please take a look a part on my Statement of Purpose below:

My graduation was a major turning point in my life. Indonesia had not reached the technological advancement which provide variety of job in my particular field. Most of available careers were software engineers in a small to middle sized software houses, none of which is related to research, except working in campus. Due to financial constraint I have to overcome, which my parents are now in non-productive age group and working in campus in Indonesia would not give enough support for living, I decided to step out of academic life and work in an enterprise hoping that I would also gain experience in solving actual problems.

is it okay to state that?

I think you dont have to justify by criticizing the country lack of resources. I have seen people with 0 research experience getting into CMU. If you could read something about professor where you want to work and suggest some innovative research ideas, it will be enough. If you are planning for PHD then it is big problem. If however,for MS you have good grades(topper of class) did decent projects and interns.It should be absolutely fine to tell about those experiences.

Edited by arpitsardhana

Never. You should never talk about anything that will not positively highlight your application in your SOP. Almost all programs will review each applicant on his/her merits. That is to say, did they make the most with what was available to him/her? If you are lacking in one area, they will expect to see strength in other. If your application is assembled correctly, they will notice this. There is no reason to draw attention to a possible weak area of your application, especially when you attempt to explain it away with an excuse that might be considered offensive no matter how valid it is. - Admissions Advice Online

Thank you very much for your input. I am now editing my essay based on your inputs.  :)​ 

Well, some of my applications are for PhD level because they do not provide Master degree. And unfortunately I don't have Master degree yet. So I expect I will gain more research opportunity upon enrolling to the university. I am addressing my work experience in my essay and hopefully it will sufficient.