Wanting to reach out to potential faculty advisers at my prospective schools?

youngcharlie101

I'm applying to 7 PhD programs in anthro. I've been trying to read all the works by the professors at my prospective schools, and a part of me wants to reach out to them, but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea. I don't want them to think I'm buttering them up or anything like that.

How should I go about emailing them? What are the questions I should ask without seeming too eager?

I would reach out to them specifically if you are interested in working with them and are asking more to see if they are taking on students or possibly taking students as well as information about the research they do.  Only contact them if you have actually something to say, or would like to establish some kind of communication with them.  during interviews is when you would like to talk more in depth about the research they are doing but it is not something you need to bring up at this point, unless you feel really compelled to do so.

I didn't really contact anyone ahead of time but in my SOPs I did mention the people at each institute I found most aligned with my research interests.  I don't think that reaching out necessarily means you get an invite to interview or preference for so unless you have a really exceptional case.  But I am not a PI so take that with a grain of salt. 

I guess overall I'd say don't force it unless you have something you want to say or ask about specifically.  Think about all the applicants touching base with all the PIs they are interested in, if everyone did that it would be such a mess and the PI may not have any say in admission committees or what not. 

Now if your PI that you are interested in working with is the ONLY person you would want to work with there then maybe find out if they are still actively taking students since that may impact your decision to submit an application.  However, I'd caution you to apply to anywhere that only one person is of interest to you.

Best of luck.

I would reach out to them specifically if you are interested in working with them and are asking more to see if they are taking on students or possibly taking students as well as information about the research they do.  Only contact them if you have actually something to say, or would like to establish some kind of communication with them.  during interviews is when you would like to talk more in depth about the research they are doing but it is not something you need to bring up at this point, unless you feel really compelled to do so.

I didn't really contact anyone ahead of time but in my SOPs I did mention the people at each institute I found most aligned with my research interests.  I don't think that reaching out necessarily means you get an invite to interview or preference for so unless you have a really exceptional case.  But I am not a PI so take that with a grain of salt. 

I guess overall I'd say don't force it unless you have something you want to say or ask about specifically.  Think about all the applicants touching base with all the PIs they are interested in, if everyone did that it would be such a mess and the PI may not have any say in admission committees or what not. 

Now if your PI that you are interested in working with is the ONLY person you would want to work with there then maybe find out if they are still actively taking students since that may impact your decision to submit an application.  However, I'd caution you to apply to anywhere that only one person is of interest to you.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much! This is awesome feedback. :)