Applying for an MBA from Oxford

alison21

Hi all

By way of introduction, I am currently working in Finance (investment funds) in Singapore and am thinking of applying for an MBA at Oxford University. Prior to my current role, I had graduated from a M.A. program in Stats/Finance from Columbia University in New York in 2010 (3.9 GPA). Background/Gender: Asian/Female.  

Can anyone please help share any of their experiences in applying for a UK/Oxford MBA program (for example; what to include in the CV, the interview process, acceptance rates, how useful was the course, what motivated you to apply for an MBA, what industries did you enter post-graduation)? Just hoping to gather some thoughts. Much appreciated! :)

Many thanks.

Hi Alison,

I am currently an MBA at Oxford, I would be delighted to help you if I can.  I write a couple of blogs that give you a feel for the course, one on the school blog website and one on the site TopMBA.  

You have asked quite a few questions there, which tells me that you are still quite early in your MBA search?  Have you taken the GMAT yet?  

Happy to chat about all of the questions you have asked (but that could probably fill the Bodleian library), so probably for ease start in bite sized chunks.  What are the three biggest uncertainties you face at the moment?

As a quick whistle-stop in answer to a couple of your questions:

CV:  I can't answer this until I know more about you, but a 3.9 GPA is a good start, but remember, MBAs like well rounded people.  

Interview:  This is a different experience and does depend on who you get and whether the school has any questions over your suitability.  My interview was more of a chat than an actual interview, but others got a bit of a grilling. 

Motivation:  I am a career changer and I did not have a clue what I wanted to do, so I thought the MBA would firstly give me a bit of a leg up, and secondly give me exposure to a wide range of industries to see which one I liked.

Post-MBA.  Not there yet, only 3 months in.  My preferred route though will be people focused and about the development of ideas and tech.  So change management, venture capital or some such.

Happy  to chat more.  My linkedin and my twitter feed is @DigitalPaulK

Kind regards,

Paul