USC MSW admissions/Those who are applying or were accepted before?

danibo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Y'all,  

Did anyone apply for the Dec. 8th Deadline and just receive an email stating " Your MSW application for Fall 2015 is complete and currently awaiting faculty review." My application and letters of recommendations where submitted before the deadline. Should I be worried? 

Edited by la_msw

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my acceptance letter!!!!!!! I also got the MSW Scholarship for an incoming graduate student in the School of Social Work who has demonstrated outstanding academic merit!!!! BEYOND HAPPY!

I just got my acceptance letter!!!!!!! I also got the MSW Scholarship for an incoming graduate student in the School of Social Work who has demonstrated outstanding academic merit!!!! BEYOND HAPPY!

Congrats kurkz! When did you apply to USC if you don't mind me asking and do you remember when you received the email that your application was awaiting faculty review? I am hoping and praying I hear back soon!

@MSWHopefulCT

I've been accepted to USC as well. I received the email saying my app was awaiting faculty review on 2/9 and received my acceptance email on 2/13. It said it would take 2-4 months to hear back in the email, but maybe they meant days lol

good luck to you!

@MSWHopefulCT

I've been accepted to USC as well. I received the email saying my app was awaiting faculty review on 2/9 and received my acceptance email on 2/13. It said it would take 2-4 months to hear back in the email, but maybe they meant days lol

good luck to you!

Thanks! Hoping to hear back sooner than later! I just got that email on Thursday that said 2-4 months and I about had a heart attack, because I can't wait 4 months! O_o

I applied for the MSW/PhD program and the admissions office seems all types of confused. First, they changed my name so they couldn't find my information. Second, they called me saying my application was incomplete, only to find out they were using a list months old. Third, they put me on hold for over 30 minutes to get their admissions office to fix confusions and mix ups. Then, they e-mailed me to ask if I was still interested in dual degree program and, if so, if I had already applied. Which is silly, because I submitted both applications for the December 1st deadline and both degrees are in the school of social work.

I'm sorry to hear that! My friend applied for a different PhD program at USC (American Studies and Ethnicity), and his first and last name also got swapped for some reason even tho it was entered properly on the online application...I'm not sure why these kinds of mixups happen if the whole application process is electronic...

@kurkz

if you don't mind me asking, how much did they give you for the MSW Scholarship? I'm wondering if they offer this to every applicant as well

I received 8,000 a year from the MSW program directly. I got an email at the same time as my admissions acceptance with this notice. I am thinking that the MSW program does not directly give students scholarships often. Which is why I was confused but very happy about it! Also, when I got my packet in the mail, I had two letters. One with my acceptance and one with my scholarship from the program. I have not received information on financial aid, as I have not entered my tax info. into FAFSA yet. So, all I know is that I was accepted and got this scholarship which I have not seen anyone else post about. HMMM.

i also received my letter with two scholarships, one for $800 per year (the Book scholarship) and one for $10,000 per year (for admitted social work students). I believe quite a few people are receiving these, and that we're still waiting to hear back about other scholarships we applied for (such as those due by the Jan 5 deadline). Apparently if we receive these additional scholarships, we may have our initial scholarships revoked? At least according to the letter.

i also received my letter with two scholarships, one for $800 per year (the Book scholarship) and one for $10,000 per year (for admitted social work students). I believe quite a few people are receiving these, and that we're still waiting to hear back about other scholarships we applied for (such as those due by the Jan 5 deadline). Apparently if we receive these additional scholarships, we may have our initial scholarships revoked? At least according to the letter.

I believe so!

I did not make the early deadline...the wait is killing me. What do we think? One more month of waiting for me?  :wacko:

Hey, I also didn't make the early deadline--how long did you wait before you heard back/when did you submit? PS-Congrats!!!! :)

Just curious, those who have been accepted to USC and plan on attending, how are you paying the high tuition costs? I've already told them no twice, but they made me a new offer that I'm actually considering, just unsure if the debt to income ratio is worth it, even with the different loan repayment options out there. Any thoughts?

Just curious, those who have been accepted to USC and plan on attending, how are you paying the high tuition costs? I've already told them no twice, but they made me a new offer that I'm actually considering, just unsure if the debt to income ratio is worth it, even with the different loan repayment options out there. Any thoughts?

May I ask what you mean by "I've already told them no twice, but they made me a new offer that I'm actually considering" ? Do you mean to say that you declined their offer and they re-accepted you and gave you more money through scholarships or something? I ask because I am currently deciding between UCLA and USC with cost being a main determining factor.

May I ask what you mean by "I've already told them no twice, but they made me a new offer that I'm actually considering" ? Do you mean to say that you declined their offer and they re-accepted you and gave you more money through scholarships or something? I ask because I am currently deciding between UCLA and USC with cost being a main determining factor.

Yes, that is what I mean. Cost is definitely the main factor in my decision as well.

To answer your question: If i were to go to USC, I would pay for it all in loans, by taking out Stafford loans then graduate plus loans to cover the costs, and I would try to get my loans forgiven after 10 years the the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program.

Here's my situation, could you try to give your thoughts? I was accepted to USC first, and I didn't really think I would get into UCLA so I went ahead and accepted and paid the deposit and all....now I've been accepted by UCLA and I'm not sure if I should go to USC because UCLA is cheaper...do you think if I declined their offer they would try to get me to stay by offering me more in scholarships? Similar to what happened to you?

To answer your question: If i were to go to USC, I would pay for it all in loans, by taking out Stafford loans then graduate plus loans to cover the costs, and I would try to get my loans forgiven after 10 years the the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program.

Here's my situation, could you try to give your thoughts? I was accepted to USC first, and I didn't really think I would get into UCLA so I went ahead and accepted and paid the deposit and all....now I've been accepted by UCLA and I'm not sure if I should go to USC because UCLA is cheaper...do you think if I declined their offer they would try to get me to stay by offering me more in scholarships? Similar to what happened to you?

They might offer you more depending on your stats and how much the original offer was for. When I talked to them, I could tell they had my stats in front of them because they were quoting them. Based off of that, they offered me more money. To be honest, I would go with UCLA, not only because it's cheaper, but because with USC you essentially are paying for the name, which has been discussed on here many times. Unless you are going into a more macro focus, the clinical track doesn't depend on what school you go to but rather what skills you have picked up while attending and how much experience you have. In California, we are all essentially learning the exact same curriculum, as all these schools are accredited by the CSWE.

I got a 15,000 scholarship a year but I am really debating between USC and UCLA because even with the scholarship UCLA is cheaperr

Edited by la_msw