Chances chances GRE 's and breakdowns

zomg

Hi all,

I would like to apply to top 30 grad schools (ex. Harvard, Berkeley, Emory, WUSTL) with a focus in biomedical sciences and I have two problems. One is my GRE (161Q,166V,4.0W). If I had more time, I would re-take it to raise the quant. score, but it's late in the game now. The other problem is my GPA (3.33 from an Ivy league undergrad institution). I have spent 4 years doing research and have taken some grad courses as a non-degree applicant in the university in which I'm employed (for those the GPA is 4.0). So my question is will those scores send me into the maybe or the no pile in the top school I would very much like to apply. :unsure:

Honestly, I think you have a decent shot.  The GRE scores should hit the minimum you need.  The GPA for UG though low, comes from a reputable institution, you did 4 years of research and you grad level courses (assuming they are relevant to your future path) are enough to offset the slightly lower gpa.  At that point, experience and research is going to get you further than a 3.3 to a 3.6 from an ivy.  Strong letters and a nicely written SOP are worth it.  Apply to the programs you want, the worst that happens is you don't get in and you can figure out what you need to do differently for next year. 

Just apply, Best of luck.

It's hard to tell which pile your application will end in since there are too many factors involved with grad admissions that do not relate to either GPA or GRE.  My guess, based simply on what you wrote, is that you will end up in the "maybe" pile. 

Thank you all for your advice. I have one more GRE related question. I have two scores (161Q,166V,4.0W) and (161Q,163V,4.5W). In the second one, the writing section jumped to the 80% from 56% by the verbal fell from 96%to 92%. Any advice whether I should send both or just the first one?