Seeking constructive advice about gap year (biomed PhD)

pygmy

Hello, I am currently looking to apply to graduate schools in the biomedical sciences (PhD). However, I don't want to go to graduate school right after undergrad because I don't feel competitive enough (I am currently a senior) and I want to gain some life experience first. I am thinking of taking 1-2 gap years between undergrad and grad school at the moment and I'm really stressed about what I should do during this time. I am seeking honest and constructive advice. 

Stats:

GPA: 3.2

sGPA: ~3.0

I have not taken the GRE yet.

General background info: Solid ECs (lots of leadership/teaching/mentoring experience) and research experience that is pertinent to my personal research interests that I can speak to

Circumstances : - During my second and third years of college, I had family/personal circumstances that affected ability to do my best in school. However, I have since been getting fairly good grades (last term my lowest grade was a B+) so I think I have a good upward trend that will hopefully help rather than hurt me. 

- I am missing some (1-2) prerequisite courses 

Concerns: 

I understand that my sGPA can be higher, and I know I can improve now that I've dealt with my personal circumstances. However, I have <year left at my undergrad. What would be the best way to "remedy" my GPA to be a more competitive applicant at graduate programs? Would pursuing a Master's be a good option? 

- Will doing as best I can/well on the GRE, more specifically the QR portion (I hesitate to say "kill it" because it's hard to know for sure) help counterbalance my GPA a bit?

- Would pursuing a Masters degree or gaining more research experience be more advisable in terms of my application?

- I know that pre-meds have post-baccalaureate programs, but would a Masters be considered a similar route for pre-grad school students? Could I complete my prerequisites this way?

Thank you for your help!   

-Stressed out scientist

I think it is perfectly fine if not advantageous to take some time off in between undergrad and pursuing a PhD in the sciences.  Gaining experience in a true research  lab is something that comes as a big plus, and no I am not talking about research when you undergrad...because its different than holding a job or position that is 40+ hour/week research related.  That being said I would look to apply for positions in academic labs if you can in the field you are interested in, or at least somewhat related.  Basically get in and start doing research.  Now to improve your profile for your application in the future you  named a few things you can do.  Certainly having a job, gaining experience would be good.  If you'd like to show your continued abilities for academic success you can enroll in a course after graduation in the field you are interested in or even take some graduate courses if you are able to.  (either audit them or enroll with special permission).  Getting a masters would certainly prove your abilities in graduate school and would give you more research experience.  

Between the two I don't see a huge difference in which route you take's ability to show success other than that a master's will like cost you money and may be a bigger burden. 

Your gpa is lower but not below any cutoffs for most programs.  A really good gre as well as a trend upwards in the last year would certainly give credit to your ability.

So i'd say taking some time in a job or masters will:  increase your research experience (important), allow you to secure good LORs to your abilities (good) and taking in classes in degree or otherwise will show your continued abilities, a high GRE score (important) would be good. 

There are also post-bac programs for people in the sciences, look into NIH for example.  There are things out there that are competitive and will give you a really intense experience into research as well as allowing you to network within the field.

Best of luck. 

Current postbac at the NIH here: highly recommend it. All labs are pretty well funded and most PIs are really well connected. There are also graduate courses offered on campus that can help improve your GPA while you're here and most PIs are willing to sponsor you.

The only advantage I see of doing a masters over just working in a lab for two years is the possibility of drastic improvement of your GPA, but you have to pay in to do so.

I had struggles in my 3rd and 4th years in undergrad which left my GPA at a 2.64 and I'm not getting any hard nos from really reputable programs. I'll let you know in a couple months if I actually got in anywhere, but its really encouraging to hear from the career advisers that I could make a run for MSTP programs if I was willing to spend another year in a clinical lab.

Edited by Shepherdbt

Taking some time away from school is far from a bad idea. There's a whole world out there aside from academia and you can return at any time. Finding a job in an academic lab is great, but I do suggest you take a look at the industrial world as well as I doubt you have much experience beyond academia. I honestly think my background as an industrial chemist helped my application.