MSW - where to apply?

jjohn488

Hello all!

I am currently a senior psychology student looking to apply to graduate schools to obtain my masters in social work. I attend school in Massachusetts right now, and someday hope to settle down here. However, in my 20s I was hoping to do some traveling and experience some other parts of the country - I was thinking that graduate school would be a good time to do so! I have been looking into applying in both Massachusetts as well as other places such as Colorado and Florida.

One of my professors mentioned that this might not be a good idea because through an MSW program you have internships and make connections in that area. She suspects it will be difficult for me to secure a job back in Massachusetts without those connections after attending an out-of-state program. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done something similar to this/is thinking of doing something similar and has some advice to give me some peace of mind/direction on where I should be concentrating my application efforts. 

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, I don't have experience attending out-of-state programs. However, I would advise you to volunteer at local human services agencies in Massachusetts before you leave to do your MSW. This will allow you to make those personal connections to local agencies so they'll know who you are after you come back home after grad school. Even if you don't end up going back to Massachusetts, you'll still have had those learning experiences (and resume buffers!) that can help you in the future.

Edited by Nochal

Here are a few options to consider....

Why not take some time off to travel or volunteer before doing your MSW? It sounds like you are really craving some adventure. It can be a good way to get some additional experience and will help you get into an MSW program when you get back. Alternately, if any programs in Massachusetts offer the opportunity to do your internship in another part of the country, this could be a good option too to give you connections in Massachusetts and some time to live elsewhere.

But then again, if you are aren't on any sort of time line and are willing to work in another state for a few years after graduating, then I don't think there is a whole lot of risk involved. Try to find a job in Massachusetts after graduating from somewhere in another state. But if you can't, work for a couple of years in the same state as your school and try to find something in Massachusetts sometime later on. It will probably be much easier with a couple of years of experience under your belt.

Edited by jenste

• 2 weeks later...

However, in my 20s I was hoping to do some traveling and experience some other parts of the country - I was thinking that graduate school would be a good time to do so!

It's not.  Graduate students frequently put in 60 hours a week between coursework, research/fieldwork/internship, work, and other duties.  I have a friend who was getting her MSW when I was in graduate school and she was busy all the time.  I agree with the above - if you think you want to do some traveling and such, take a year or two off before you get your MSW and go travel.

On the other hand, I think your professor is mostly right.  I did a PhD in New York and wasn't even thinking about staying there long-term, but in the course of my program I made many connections to agencies for which I could potentially work or contract with or internship.  I don't know that it would be difficult for you to get a job back in MA, but it would certainly be easier for you to get a job in MA if you go to school in MA.  Not only that, if you are an MA state resident getting an MSW there at a public institution that offers it would be way cheaper than going to Colorado or Florida.  Social workers don't make a ton of money, so you want to minimize the amount that you borrow.

So if I were you and I knew I wanted to settle and stay in Massachusetts, I'd take 2 years off, do some traveling and then return to do an MSW once I was sort of finished doing that.  (You can also travel once you have the MSW.  Traveling is easier and more fun when you have money!)