Solicitation Email from Top School?

adams82111

I have a question about solicitation emails from schools.

Yesterday, I received an email from an Ivy League School, one of the top universities in my field of interest. I wasn't planning on applying since I didn't think I would be competitive, and I am already applying to host of other great schools. Therefore, I have not sent them GRE scores, or created an account, etc. I have had zero contact with this school previously.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I was emailed by the Department at this school with an email that says I had been "identified as a strong candidate" for their PhD program and that they are hopeful I will apply. The remainder of the email goes on to describe the program (seems generic). Has this ever happened to anyone? Do some schools just spam people with a form letter like this? The only thing I can think of that caused this is that on my most recent GREs I scored near perfectly in writing and verbal. Are schools able to reach out to ETS and see scores and solicit good candidates?

Any thoughts would be appreciated so I know if I should go for it and apply! :)

Edited by adams82111

Was it a generic email? Then It's probably no big deal.

If its an email from someone who aligns with your research interests, and is specific, then its a big deal. 

Departments looking to increase their application pool pay ETS to get people who say they are applying to specific fields emails all the time. Thats one of the ways ETS makes money. 

I mean, it probably was one of those generic emails. But I personally think you should apply there anyway if the program seems like a good fit for you. One of the most frequent pieces of advice I've been given is not to sell yourself short. I have two friends who were rejected by a ton of PhD programs but ended up at their one acceptance which was Stanford (English for one, philosophy the other). Both of them considered not applying!