Sociology prof who will answer any question about grad school applications

SocProf

Hey Gabe,

I saw you refer to being a "Foucault kid". I definitely see myself as a person with interests that are very broad and wide-ranging. So I applied to a lot of programs that seem to be connected to my interests: MA Sociology, Masters Public Administration, Master of Urban Planning, and Master of Public Health programs. And I got acceptances for all but MPH so far. I'm undecided on which direction I should go in. It seems like if I pick one program, I would be committing myself to that particular field. Any advice on which direction to take. I'm a current sociology major and a human biology major right now and I have flourished in my soc courses. But a part of me wants to broaden my horizons and take a program that is not just sociology. I guess my question is which pathway would have an easier transition: sociology to public professions, or public profession to sociology? 

I know I should just pick one program and stick to it but I really enjoy learning from different disciplines. 

Thanks!

Noki,

Starting from sociology and then specializing down the road makes more sense than trying to do it the other way around, and I discourage you from entering pre-professional programs if you aren't fully committed to a career in that specific profession. For people (myself included) who are maybe a little ADHD or just like to try new things, sociology is a happy place to be because it's a multiple-paradigm, fragmented field where you can change your research focus every few years if you feel like it. On the other hand, as a professional sociologist you obviously need to specialize in order to build a reputation within a specific subfield.

All of that being said, for me, I think it's important that your (or my) desire to learn new things be balanced with a healthy fear of failing to commit to any one field of study and of consequently being unemployable. It can be hard to remain focused on any one thing without that fear factor coming into play.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Gabe 

OK, For a top-20 Sociology PhD program the red flag in your application is the writing sample, as grounded theory is a dirty word (OK phrase) in most US sociology departments. Fair or not, admissions committee members are likely to interpret GT as some combination of "hasn't read the literature," "has a superficial understanding of the role of theory in sociology," and "hasn't mastered any methods besides ethnography." While there may be faculty members at Minnesota and elsewhere who are more charitable toward GT, you should assume that if they're on the admissions committee they're likely to be outvoted.

That said, you seem to be well qualified, and should be able to get accepted into a few good programs. If you're up for trying again next year, I'd drop all references to Grounded Theory and apply to a broader range of programs where your lowest-ranked program is ranked 50-80 nationally. Actually you might want to apply to some unranked departments in the hope that they'll offer a better funding package to attract you. Program prestige matters, but money matters too.

Best of luck!

Gabe

That is helpful feedback that I can actually use. I wish it would have come up in conversations I had with faculty at Minnesota. So, will I need a different writing sample altogether then? I did use my master's thesis as my writing sample and it's all based on GT/Ethnographic research.

My choices of where to apply were not based so much on presitge as they were on faculty who actually do research on environmental sociology, trauma and have understanding of feminist theory. I chose my master's program on prestige and had no real faculty support in the sense that they were engaged in similar veins of research. Does that come up at all for a committee - the match between a candidate and the faculty they want to work with? They specifically asked for faculty I want to work with; and the faculty I cited in my application were all more or less amenable to ethnography. I figured the admissions committees were interested in seeing if there was a fit between advisors and incoming students, but it doesn't seem like that is the case...

I am from the psychology discipline, so this may work a bit differently than with sociology. I'm curious whether my master's will become a hindrance or  be beneficial to my application.

I had graduated from a state college with a B.S. in Psych in 2009. I was involved in research; presented at 3 conferences. My GPA was a 3.42; psych 3.5. My GRE's were a (v) 154; (q) 145. So, without a clear research direction, I decided I wasn't ready for a doctoral program.

I then worked in the field with psychopathology (mainly schizophrenic clients) for 4 years; taught distance learning classes for 2 years and enrolled in a M.A. Mental Health Counseling Licensure Program. So my degree is a professional degree and not a scholarly one. With this experience, I now have a better idea where, and what, I want to research, I'm forming an independent research in ethical decision making/morality. I'm also working as a Psychology Department Graduate Assistant (tutoring statistics, monitoring the research subject pool, class coverage, grade entry, etc.)

My current GPA is a 3.94

Will be retaking the GRE.

Would this become a problem in my application? Do you have any suggestions on how I should address it in my SOP?

Edited by psychkita

That is helpful feedback that I can actually use. I wish it would have come up in conversations I had with faculty at Minnesota. So, will I need a different writing sample altogether then?

That will depend on your available alternatives. But the low hanging fruit would be to say less (or nothing at all) about GT in your personal statement.

I did use my master's thesis as my writing sample and it's all based on GT/Ethnographic research.

My choices of where to apply were not based so much on presitge as they were on faculty who actually do research on environmental sociology, trauma and have understanding of feminist theory.

I may be out of the loop on this, but environmental sociology and feminist theory don't go together in my mind, at least not within American sociology. Aren't American environmental sociologists still pretty much positivists, male, and anti-capitalist? I wrote my dissertation in this area, but that was a long time ago! 

I chose my master's program on prestige and had no real faculty support in the sense that they were engaged in similar veins of research. Does that come up at all for a committee - the match between a candidate and the faculty they want to work with?

Yes. 1000%! Your #1 goal is to find a department where you could see yourself working closely with 1-2 faculty members for several years.

They specifically asked for faculty I want to work with; and the faculty I cited in my application were all more or less amenable to ethnography. I figured the admissions committees were interested in seeing if there was a fit between advisors and incoming students, but it doesn't seem like that is the case...

"more or less amenable" just isn't enough. You want faculty who are a very close fit.

Hope this helps!

Gabe

Psychita,

For sociology and probably for psych too, I think admissions committees will see an applicant with your extensive experience as qualified for doctoral study but also possibly as someone who is likely to gravitate toward more applied research. I don't see this as a problem (and it could be an opportunity), but it's something you may want to address in the SOP. How you address it will depend on whether you are more attracted to a career in basic or applied research. But whatever you do be honest, because you'll want to find a program that is the best possible fit for your background and career goals.

Best of luck!

Gabe

Psychita,

For sociology and probably for psych too, I think admissions committees will see an applicant with your extensive experience as qualified for doctoral study but also possibly as someone who is likely to gravitate toward more applied research. I don't see this as a problem (and it could be an opportunity), but it's something you may want to address in the SOP. How you address it will depend on whether you are more attracted to a career in basic or applied research. But whatever you do be honest, because you'll want to find a program that is the best possible fit for your background and career goals.

Best of luck!

Gabe

Thank you Gabe,

That helps a lot actually. I would probably be somewhere in the 'research-based practices' spectrum. Since, I'd like to research the basic moral theory, but then explore how it concretely affects practice. So, essentially a little bit of both. 

Hello Gabe! I might be a Foucault kid myself, so my question is how do sociology departments view publications in other fields? I will definitely have a humanities/history publication and possibly a social science publication by the time I am applying to sociology PhD programs. Do publications in anything but top-tier journals have any impact whatsoever? 

Qeta,

Where will your papers be published? Are they co-authored?

Admissions committees will look very favorably on two legit publications at your career stage. At the end of the day publications are THE currency in academic research, and if you have already produced some (and presumably have the ability to produce more) you'll have a leg up on your competition.

Best of luck!

Gabe

Qeta,

Where will your papers be published? Are they co-authored?

Admissions committees will look very favorably on two legit publications at your career stage. At the end of the day publications are THE currency in academic research, and if you have already produced some (and presumably have the ability to produce more) you'll have a leg up on your competition.

Best of luck!

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for your reply! None of the papers are co-authored. The humanities/history publication (on Latin America) was recently accepted by a middle-tier journal that seems to publish articles from newly minted PhDs and new professors, mostly from Britain, Canada, and Australia.

I've also been told that I should publish my undergraduate honours thesis on South Asia in a history/area studies journal, which I will get ready for submission this summer. Most crucially, I hope to submit a section of my political science Master's thesis (on Southeast and South Asia) to a journal in a year as well, especially since it's a timely topic that people seem to find interesting. I worry about seeming unfocused with my divergent choices of topics, regions, and methodologies, and wonder if the publications will end up hurting rather than helping.

Hi Qeta,

I would be absolutely shocked if your publications hurt your application. Naturally you'll have to specialize while in grad school, but you've demonstrated you can do professional-quality research and see a project through from concept to publication. You should be in great shape.

Best of luck,

Gabe

Hi Prof,

it's so kind of you to be giving applicants like me advice. i posted my question in a new thread before stumbling onto yours.

I am applying to take an M.S. Financial planning and am wondering what else I could submit together with my application requirements that would improve my chances of acceptance. I don't have a good GPA for my B.A at 2.3. But I have been working as a financial planner for 4 years.

I took my GRE last month with v:156 q:162 essay:5.5. I am alsso in the midst of publishing a book I wrote and it is in its first draft phase, in the midst of editing by my publisher. I'd like to ask if it would help me application to send them a copy of my book in its first draft?

I appreciate all suggestions and thoughts on it. Thanks!

Alex

Hi Alex,

I wouldn't send the whole book, particularly if it's in draft form, as would be just too much information for admissions committee members to handle. The better move is to send a sample chapter (the best one you have), and to mention the name of the publisher in your personal statement and maybe resume. 

Best of luck!

Gabe

Thanks Gabe. I've really appreciated this conversation.

Actually, there is a small minority of environmental sociologists who are actively engaging in interdisciplinary research with Feminist theory, particularly Intersectionality. In my applications I clearly cited the one professor at the university who actively engaged in this type of research. I then rounded out my application by citing other faculty in the department who were also engaged in environmental sociology and used ethnography as a methodology. So, in that regard, I felt my applications demonstrated a very close fit between the research agendas of existing tenured faculty and my research interests. I mean there are like maybe a dozen people doing this type of research. How much more fit can their be?

I will definitely drop all references to GT going forward. Dumb question: does the writing sample have to be produced while enrolled in a degree program? Over the next few months, I could write a sample that clearly demonstrates my ability to do statistical analysis, as well as my knowledge of sociological theory. I don't know why, I just figured PhD admissions committees would want to see writing samples that were either a) published or B) are derived from the master's thesis. 

Actually, there is a small minority of environmental sociologists who are actively engaging in interdisciplinary research with Feminist theory, particularly Intersectionality. In my applications I clearly cited the one professor at the university who actively engaged in this type of research. I then rounded out my application by citing other faculty in the department who were also engaged in environmental sociology and used ethnography as a methodology. So, in that regard, I felt my applications demonstrated a very close fit between the research agendas of existing tenured faculty and my research interests. I mean there are like maybe a dozen people doing this type of research. How much more fit can their be?

OK, it sounds like you're very well informed in this area.

I will definitely drop all references to GT going forward. Dumb question: does the writing sample have to be produced while enrolled in a degree program?

No, but I guess it's sort of expected.

Over the next few months, I could write a sample that clearly demonstrates my ability to do statistical analysis, as well as my knowledge of sociological theory. I don't know why, I just figured PhD admissions committees would want to see writing samples that were either a) published or B) are derived from the master's thesis. 

I wouldn't write something new, but maybe just tweak your current writing sample. Honestly, you seem to know what you're doing, and I'm not sure what if anything I can tell you that you don't already know at this point. :) Best of luck though!

Gabe

I will definitely drop all references to GT going forward. Dumb question: does the writing sample have to be produced while enrolled in a degree program? Over the next few months, I could write a sample that clearly demonstrates my ability to do statistical analysis, as well as my knowledge of sociological theory. I don't know why, I just figured PhD admissions committees would want to see writing samples that were either a) published or B) are derived from the master's thesis. 

Just fyi - I submitted a writing sample I produced while not affiliated with any institution or school or think tank or anything. It was published, and I was accepted.

I have been accepted to a school to get y Ph.D. I was informed that there were 10 of us admitted out of 40 applicants. The faculty decided to fund 5 (I was not 1). However, I have been in constant contact with the grad admissions director and he stated that they have a few people who have not accepted their acceptance and if those people choose not to, they will move down the list of other accepted candidates for the funding.

It is now April 10. In your opinion, should I pretty much give up hope of being offered funding since there are only 5 days left until the deadline? Thanks.

smcg,

It might well come down to the wire, so I'd stay in communication with the graduate admissions committee chair. Basically keep doing what you're doing.

Gabe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Professor,

I'm in a cultural sociology masters program, and did my undergrad in humanities. I intend to apply to phd programs for fall 2016 once I'm done with my program in August. 

The problem I have right now is that I've been hearing a lot of negative comments on the job prospects of cultural sociologists. Since my program is very specifically geared towards cultural sociology, and specifically qualitative methods, I have no background in anything quantitative from my masters, and since my undergraduate was not in sociology, I lack background in wide literature of sociology as well. 

Would it be possible for me to apply with a qualitative cultural sociology thesis and get trained in quantitative methods at the phd program? or should I try to figure something on my own and incorporate it into my thesis? 

Thank you!

Kilenee,

About 15 years ago I was where you are now, and my solution was to do a dissertation on a mainstream topic (environmental sociology) and do cultural and theoretical projects on the side until tenure, when I switched to working on text mining and theory full time. So in grad school I played it safe because I was scared witless that I'd end up unemployed, and everything worked out OK (if not entirely ideally) in the end. You should consider doing the same, although the job market has have changed somewhat, and may be even a bit more culture-friendly by the time you finish your program.

On the other hand, knowing more now about how universities work, I'd be wary of marketing yourself as a cultural sociologist first and foremost. Aside from a handful of elite programs and possibly some liberal arts colleges, it's hard for chairs to justify requesting a faculty line for cultural sociology. Your only option is to compete for an open hire (as I did), which may be the toughest job opening of all.

Though it's on theory in American sociology rather than culture, Omar Lizardo's recent talk may help:

http://akgerber.com/OpenBook010.pdf

Best of luck!

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's very helpful for me to hear from your perspective, since I'm studying abroad and my advisor has been pretty indifferent..

One more question to follow up: I have until the end of August to write my thesis. If somehow I incorporate organization theory into my research, would that be helpful? It will still be have to be on a cultural organization (arts, design, advertising, etc)