Getting book reviews?

I have heard from more experienced PhD students (I'm in my first year) that book reviews are a good way to get started in publishing and get to know editors. I recently read a book that has never been reviewed, so I emailed an editor and asked if she would be interested in a review. Is there any other way to do this? Can I just email the book review editors to see if they have any books that need review? I am in the UK, where PhDs only take 3-4 years, so I need to get started on publishing ASAP. Thanks!

A lot of times if you sign up for a professional society which has a publication, they will ask you if you want to do book reviews. 

For what it's worth, I have been explicitly discouraged from writing book reviews before I have tenure. The consequences for stepping on a land mine far outweigh the benefits of successfully crossing the field.

• 2 weeks later...

While you obviously wouldn't want to write a book review that makes you enemies, perhaps it is a field difference regarding when to do book reviews.  It is also a common recommendation in my field to do book reviews as a way of getting into publishing.  Many journals have information on their webpages about whom to contact to get on the list of people they ask to do reviews.  Especially since you have a specific book you'd like to review, you might email journals in the same area as the book, as you've done, though maybe contact more if you don't hear anything back from the journal you have contacted.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of journals publish a list of books they've received from publishers for review. Sometimes it's available digitally, sometimes only available in the print copy. Just email the editor (usually there is a separate editor for book reviews) to state your interest in reviewing a book and they will send you a copy of the book with instructions, a deadline, etc. It's a great way to get your name out there, to start publishing, get involved in the academic community, and to get a free book. I think generally they encourage PhD candidates to do this more than PhD students, but that's not a hard rule and it may also only be in my discipline (anthropology).

Since you've already read the book, maybe you can search out some lists of books to be reviewed and find one that has yours listed? Otherwise, follow the advice above and email book review editors directly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been encourage by my professors as an M.A. student to pursue book reviews as a route to publishing. I found the easiest way is to join a professional association (at a student rate) that has a journal including book reviews. The editors often post a list of Advanced Review Copies they've recieved that they'll send out for free to potential reviewers.

While you obviously wouldn't want to write a book review that makes you enemies, perhaps it is a field difference regarding when to do book reviews.

Sorry I missed this before. The problem is that it's not entirely clear how to do this. If you get a bad book, the choice is pretty stark - be honest and offend the author, or softball it and have other readers (who may eventually be looking at your job application) think you're a moron. I suppose you could always turn it down (I'm not sure of the precise mechanics of this). Although it's less apparent, that dilemma doesn't go away for mediocre or even very good books.