Yale Jackson - New Student Blog

A couple of Jackson students have recently begun a blog offering a look at life in the Jackson program and on the Yale campus in general. There are also occasional posts with practical information for those thinking about applying, so I highly recommend it to anyone interested in coming to Yale Jackson. 

Link: The Jackson Journal - Yale Jackson Institute for Global Affairs Student Blog

Edited by thevillagersid

Thanks! I'm applying to Jackson as well as all the other big name schools. People I've spoken to say each school has its own charatcer that employers associate it with. SAIS has the econ rigour while WWS has that public service focus. Fletcher has the business focus while Elliott has the DC connection. What would you say the defining aspect of Jackson is? From what I've read, it is into all the major areas that the others schools are. I can't seem to put my finger on what one quality or focus area sets it apart. Any help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

The Jackson program is a bit unique in that it has only a limited number of core courses (3), which leaves students free to put largely together their own program around their interests. Being able to take courses at all the other schools on campus means that you also have full access to the full range of 'superstar' faculty members and fellows that Yale attracts. If there's anything that defines the students at Jackson, it would be a passion for making a difference in the world--but each one of us has very different aspirations for how we'd like to make that happen. 

But I imagine your real question was about the perception of Jackson amongst employers. The small number of graduates and youth of the program also made me a bit worried that it might not be recognized by the people hiring me later. This concern has proven to be entirely unfounded. Speaking with potential employers and observing the second years as they begin to job hunt, it seems the more important factors when it comes time to get a job are:

• It's backed by the Yale brand, which employers *do* respond to. (I don't personally believe that alma mater is necessarily a strong quality signal for a person, but such is the world we live in.)
  • You're one of only 30 Yale Jackson grads in a year. Most public policy/IA types gravitate to a few sorts of places, and there are honestly a glut of SIPA, SAIS, etc. grads applying for the same jobs.
  • Small program size means easy access to Jackson's Senior and World Fellows, and several people each year seem to get internships/jobs with incredible organizations through those on campus connections. 
  • And, finally, we have an awesome career services director (Elizabeth Gill), who takes an active interest to meet and strategize with all of the program's students.

Long post short, no one seems to have any difficulty getting a great job after Jackson.

Thanks a ton. I wrote my SOP - with a fairly ambitious career goal is trying to find the intersection between Business, Policy and Development (eg. bringing Chinese rail technology to India or helping European water mgmt agencies clean India's rivers). I gave it to the most senior Indian Yale IR alumnus I know and he said it's a bit too "catch-all", which has spooked me big time. I hope they accommodate me trying to bridge 3 fields (because I've seen it done) rather than just the traditional 2.

The aforementioned Yale Alum is going to be writing me a recco letter so maybe it will balance out. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I think Yale is perfect for people who are trying to work across multiple fields, but I second the advice you got about making sure that your plans seem focused--they don't want people coming in and floundering around trying to figure out what they're doing.