Advice needed!

Sam1608

Hi,

I'm an Indian student and have just completed my Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics & Communications) and am applying for graduate studies in High Energy Astrophysics.

I recently gave the PGRE this October since the PGRE is only offered once a year in India  :(

But due to my lack of timed practice, I'm not hoping to get >700 this time.

Undergrad Institution: Gujarat Technological University (No Physics reputation; considered as one of top 50's in Engineering in India)

Major: Electronics & Communications

Overall GPA: 7.8/10

Length of Degree: 4 years

Position in Class: Average

Type of Student: International

GRE Scores: 307, Revised

Q: 157 (68%)

V: 150 (45%)

W: 3.5 (38)

P: Estimated between 600-700 (October, 2014) 

TOEFL Total: 106 (S-23; L-27; W-28; R-28)

Research Experience: None! (Probably my biggest disadvantage)  :(

(Apart from the final year project that we've to undertake in the field of Electronics-->irrelevant for Physics purposes)

But, I've undertaken one course- Dissertation based certificate course in A&A at a research institute in India, and will also undertake a graduate-level Cosmology course (without dissertation) at the same.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (??) Was selected in a summer exchange program (25-students) to study 2 subjects at KSU

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: None

Physics Relevant Courses:  Have studies Image Processing, Electromagnetics, Engineering Physics and Engineering Math (4 courses) relevant to A&A is what I can consider for college courses

Have taken more than 11 (and currently ongoing) MOOCs on Physics & A&A

Applying to Where:

Rochester Institute of Technology
Princeton's 2-year Post-Baccalaureate Program in Astrophysics (yet to answer if International students are eligible)
Colorado, Boulder
North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Rutgers
Australian National University (Seems impossible)

Now I don't know whether with the above info. if I should even consider applying or take an year off to prepare better for PGRE and retry. I'm open to any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider retaking your GRE since your quantitative scores are a little on the low side for a focus that requires it. Furthermore, the schools you are applying to are highly competitive and many students will apply with a combined GRE score greater than the minimum 315 score.