Duke Anthropology

Munich

Hi!

It's going well just continuing work on my SOP. Duke is my first choice so i'm trying to nail it!

What about you? Are you applying for other schools?

I really like Duke's SOP samples and used them as models when I was applying - however I wasn't applying to Duke.. :)

I'm glad they offer those, but it must be nerve-wracking to have them because it's obvious that's what they're looking for but you can't do anything too similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm applying to Duke.  I wrote to one of the professors and she said that I should write my SoP to appeal broadly, since it's a group decision.  That feels a little challenging, since they so clearly favor very specific proposals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Great! Yeh i got similar feedback from the professor i've been in contact with. 

I agree with you, i'm finding the whole process challenging actually, i'm applying from the UK and it's the first time i've applied to programs in the US.

Is Duke one of your preferred choices? What is your project about, broadly :) ?

Duke isn't my top choice, but it's high on the list.  My project is about the role of dance in Arab identity and issues of imperialism and cultural appropriation.  What about you?

Sounds great! My project is about  how international representations of HIV/AIDS are navigated and challenged by people living with HIV. Specifically in South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings. I didn't post it on the results page but I also received my notification of acceptance to Duke's cultural anthropology PhD program on January 27. I was contacted about doing a Skype interview on January 20 and did so a few days later. Good luck, your project sounds interesting.

Suavesana, I think most everyone else on this thread is social anth which has separate admissions. Just making sure you're bio/evo and I didn't miss a cultural acceptance or rejection anywhere...

That makes sense then. I am evoanth! Sorry about the confusion. And good luck to you all :)

Hello everyone,

I just received my notification of being waitlisted from Duke. In the email, it says there is a good chance of receiving admissions. Does anyone know when they usually send out notifications that one was removed from the waitlist? 

Hello everyone,

I just received my notification of being waitlisted from Duke. In the email, it says there is a good chance of receiving admissions. Does anyone know when they usually send out notifications that one was removed from the waitlist? 

Are you Evolutionary or Cultural?  I applied to Cultural and haven't heard anything, and I think we've determined that almost every other result posted is Evolutionary.  If you're Evolutionary, I think you're waiting for one of those people to refuse the offer, which could be any time.

Are you Evolutionary or Cultural? I applied to Cultural and haven't heard anything, and I think we've determined that almost every other result posted is Evolutionary. If you're Evolutionary, I think you're waiting for one of those people to refuse the offer, which could be any time.

Meglet, I'm hoping that result was for evo. I've been waiting for Duke results as well. One more week in February -____-

Meglet, I'm hoping that result was for evo. I've been waiting for Duke results as well. One more week in February -____-

Hey,

My waitlist result was for cultural. I think they have made the waitlist I guess... I am dying to know how many people are on it. 

• 8 years later...

Anyone who got an offer from Duke would like to share when the deadline is to decide on taking the offer or not? On the waitlist and don’t know what to expect now… would really appreciate any information!