Automatic Culling via GRE Scores

1Q84

As I understand it, your application goes to the graduate division of any school and then is sent to the specific department to which you are applying.

I have a really crappy Q score and I was just told by one POI that the graduate division may not look kindly on that, even though my V score is 99th percentile and I'm applying to the English department.

I looked on the school's graduate division website and saw no information to that end. Is it kosher to email them and ask about that?

I'm in precisely the same boat as you. Great verbal, great AWA, dismal quant. 

I went and spoke with someone in the admissions office. She told me that departmental faculty read every single application, and there is no graduate division culling.

Call your schools!

@IQ84 How bad of a Q score are we talking here? I sat for the GRE at the end of October and received 170V/158Q/5.5AWA. I'm seriously stressing the quant score - only 71%, whereas I was prepping in at least the low 160s. I'm going for top public policy programs/MBA programs, fyi.