I finally took my GRE today! Could use some advise, as usual. =)

Hey everyone, so I posted earlier for some wise words of wisdom when taking the GRE. After hours of what felt like days, I see 145, 145. I know that that is below average, however, I only took 2 practice exams and looked over a few vocabulary words, all last night, prior to that I did not study anything associated with the GRE. My question is, should I retake the GRE again next month, after finals, this way I can actually study.. or do you guys think it doesn't matter, that I'll probably score the same?

Thanks in advance! =)

I don't think it's a good idea to take any test without properly studying for it. I also believe you could improve your score a whole lot with just one month's preparation. Definitely take it again.

Yeah definitely wasn't but I had no other choice unfortunately, one grad school has a deadline of Dec 1st so I needed to take it unprepared.

I figured that I should take it again, but was up in the air on how much studying can truly impact my grades. (Many people have told me oh don't worry about the GRE no one does good and it's pointless to study because there is no true way to studying) though that wasn't my reason for not studying, just didn't have any time! Thanks for the reassurance!

I don't think it's a good idea to take any test without properly studying for it. I also believe you could improve your score a whole lot with just one month's preparation. Definitely take it again.

Just a warning-- if you're doing any schools on CSDCAS the scores might not come in time for the Jan 15 deadline if you take it after finals. That doesn't mean it won't, but there's a chance. If you've already submitted your CSDCAS application for CSDCAS, then you can maybe just warn schools that another GRE score is coming so they look out for it, but for now they'll have the other score. If you're waiting til after you get the new scores in Dec to submit to CSDCAS... I wouldn't. I know my school wants it "verified" by Jan. 15 but that usually means submitting the application on CSDCAS by Dec 15 to give them time to go through your credentials and verify it before the Jan 15 date. But if the school only wants it "completed" by that date then you can wait a little longer.

Arggg I had a feeling that may be the case! I've honestly had no time to even figure out when to take it or to even study, my stupidity for not taking it this summer. Thanks for the heads up though, I have my list of schools and the deadlines and I actually just looked them over, in my list only Kean has the Jan 15 deadline, and the rest are early to mid Feb. So hopefully my second set of scores reach Kean in time and if not I'll have to inform them. Thanks for mentioning that though!

Just a warning-- if you're doing any schools on CSDCAS the scores might not come in time for the Jan 15 deadline if you take it after finals. That doesn't mean it won't, but there's a chance. If you've already submitted your CSDCAS application for CSDCAS, then you can maybe just warn schools that another GRE score is coming so they look out for it, but for now they'll have the other score. If you're waiting til after you get the new scores in Dec to submit to CSDCAS... I wouldn't. I know my school wants it "verified" by Jan. 15 but that usually means submitting the application on CSDCAS by Dec 15 to give them time to go through your credentials and verify it before the Jan 15 date. But if the school only wants it "completed" by that date then you can wait a little longer.

I would suggest the Kaplan GRE review book that includes online practice tests.  I took the GRE once just like you without any studying because I had to get it done quick and got something like V-147, Q-149.  The Kaplan book costs maybe $20 and you will notice the 5 online tests they give you to practice are EXACTLY like the real GRE.  The book has a lot of good practice as well.  I improved my GRE to V-152, Q-151 which isn't much but just above the 50th percentile which a lot of schools look at.  Good Luck!

I would definitely recommend buying Magoosh online. I increased my score by 8 points total which is a lot. The only thing is I'm not sure it would be worth buying if you need to take the GREs soon, but in the long run it's really helpful if you practice everyday.

Magoosh is the real deal. I also downloaded a GRE Prep App for my Samsung Galaxy S5. Practice sections and explanations for each chapter of math and verbal, a HUGE explanation of the writing portion, and extra vocab words. It was only $15 for full access, which blows the textbook prices out of the water.

290 isn't bad for winging it - you should be at least a little proud of yourself!

My daughter did Magoosh online only for one month, and did higher on the actual GRE than in all the practices.  She said the actual test was easier than Magoosh, which made her feel really confident.  

Thank you everyone! Maybe I'll try Magoosh, I felt that my Princeton Review book in one night of studying a few words did help, because those words were on the test, but definitely need more assistance! Thanks all for your recommendations! 

Apply broadly if you are not too picky. Your GRE is ok. You need to be overall good. How is your GPA and EC?

Looking to say in NY/NJ.. GPA is 3.7 right now, hopefully 3.8/3.9 my graduating semester..  Work for early intervention and volunteer in an Aphasia group once a month, also named to the deans list and am in SLP honors society, hopefully that helps!

If you can find a date after finals and 15 business days before the first deadline for grad school and are able to study before the GRE then why not.. but your scores are at the 50% so you're okay, mine are far below lol 

I've been considering retaking my GRE, but I just don't think there is enough time. I'm used to doing a lot better on standardized tests but I did very little prep as well :(

Ahhh nope my first deadline is December 1st. Oops! According to ETS, my quantitative score was in the 40th percentile but then looking at the schools I've seen "competitive applicants have a quantitative score in the 60th percentile, or a 150" so now I have no idea! I'm just hoping my verbal is strong enough to offset it. 

PorqueMoi, Your GRE is great. I would suggest not to take it again. Apply broadly you will get in somewhere. Double triple check you LOI and statement. Ask here for help to review your LOI and statement.

Good Luck!!!

Really? I just realized that I actually remember seeing 150 and 151 as 50%, I also think you're fine, don't stress it, it could have been worse, you could have had my scores lol

Ahhh nope my first deadline is December 1st. Oops! According to ETS, my quantitative score was in the 40th percentile but then looking at the schools I've seen "competitive applicants have a quantitative score in the 60th percentile, or a 150" so now I have no idea! I'm just hoping my verbal is strong enough to offset it.