Question about Transcript

hc862

Hello all,

I see that some schools I want to apply do not require an official transcript until the decision is made.

Instead, I need to put an unofficial transcript, and I am a little bit confused which one it refers to.

When I log in to my school grade system, it says "Unofficial Transcript", and when I click it, it shows my record in table view.

I also see that unofficial transcript can be a scanned version of official transcript (since I opened the seal, it is no longer official anymore).

So do you usually put a scanned version of official transcript as an unofficial transcript, or web view transcript?

Also I scanned my official transcript few years ago. Since I graduated already and scanned version is final (already says "degree awarded"), I am thinking about using that.

The thing bothers me is that on the top of my transcript, it says "Printed: MM/DD/2012"

Does it matter? I mean I can try to get a new one, but all the content should be the same except "Printed..."

Can someone help me on this? Thank you so much!

I scanned official transcripts (which were no longer official because I broke the seals) for school because my unofficial transcripts on the websites are kind of a pain to interpret. I also worried that the website transcript wasn't as "right" as a scanned version of the official transcript. What can I say, I'm a worrier.

If nothing has changed since you scanned your official transcript and it shows that your degree was awarded, I don't see why you'd need to redo it. The only thing, to my knowledge, that programs give an expiration date to is GRE scores.

Best of luck!

Edited by ashiepoo72

I also have been getting confused. If a program wants an official transcript but says not to mail it, how does that make any sense? Lol well at least I saved money because I budgeted for ordering and mailing 10 of them at $5 each. Apparently scanning is preferred now.

I also have been getting confused. If a program wants an official transcript but says not to mail it, how does that make any sense? Lol well at least I saved money because I budgeted for ordering and mailing 10 of them at $5 each. Apparently scanning is preferred now.

I am pretty sure they mean do not mail it now. After you are accepted you will need to send the official transcript in. The only time you wouldn't mail this would be if the school accepted e-transcripts which are emailed. - Admissions Advice Online

I have gotten confused alot on these and I have been able to pin point the website contradiction problem to that the univeristy graduate admissions can have different guidlines then the programs guidlines. For example I got a email after submitting my application that the school graduate admissions wanted a pdf transcript and the department of engineering wants a official mailed transcript. Also their deadlines differed and the Deptartment of Engineering stated their deadlines supersede the graduate admissions. 

The University mainly wants a scan of a official paper transcript and not a scan from a website. Which of course means that you can break the seal or just get it without a enveolpe directly from your undergrad university. Additional rules can be blacking out your social secruity number, and scanning the back of the transcript once if that is where the legend is ,and making the file size fit a limit.

"And if in doubt, just call the school, to call them out."

Edited by Texan_Air