PhD Psychology in the UK

ssungh123

Hi, I am currently an MA student majoring in personality psychology.

My expected time of getting my degree is in the fall of 2016,

so right now I am planning to apply for a PhD program for year 2017.

I know its still a long way but that is how much I am willing to invest on the application.

I am interested in many parts of the world but I am interested especially in the University College of London, University of Warwick, and many more prestigious universities.

This is just to begin with haha

So! who among the gradcafe peeps are enrolled or currently studying at UCL or any other UK universities (majoring PhD in psychology)?

I am very new to the world of UK phd programs, applications, scholarships, etc. and would want to know more about the country and the study life.

So here are my questions

1. How competitive is it to get into a psychology PhD program (particularly the 'clinical, educational, health psychology')

2. Does work experience really matter when they evaluate my documents for a phd in psychology? (I have not had any official work experience, only research experience in my current university and short-term internships)

3. can I be a 'candidate of graduation' when I apply for the program? coz looks like if I want to study without any break, I have to apply in advance even before I can get my degree in MA, is that no problem? or will it affect the panel when they evaluate my eligibility.

4. How is the program there? are there a lot of coursework and little research? or is it the other way around? do they have TA or RA for prospective students? what about the curriculum in phd psychology, could you share some parts of it? any good information you could share would be of big help 

5. Usually how old are the students who apply for the phd program in the UK?

6. Is network really that important when applying to phd programs in the UK? coz I barely have any....

7. Usually, what does the UK universities usually look for in a phd student aside from the fancy grades, research experience, remarkable published papers etc. The universities must have some motive in their research like maybe focusing on the mental health of oldies, maybe children rights? or are they into public services? I want to know.

8. If there are other things I should know about doing my phd in the UK, please let me know. I would be really thankful :)

I think these would be the questions for now 

Hope to get some helpful replies ! :)

Thank you!