Better chances with in-state public schools?

neuropanic

I was just looking around at some programs and found one in my state that matched my current research interests (not applying for a few years). It is a pretty highly ranked public university in my state. Does an in-state student have a better chance at a public school for STEM (neuroscience) programs? I am not sure if I even want to stay in state, but am curious. Thanks.

I do not think this is true for STEM programs, unless the school has a specific quota of the number of in-state admits it must make. If so, by nature of a smaller pool of applicants to compete against, your chances may be higher.

In-state students will cost the department a little bit less in the first year (out of state students take about a year to achieve residency). But this extra cost for one single year is unlikely to influence admission decisions. On the other hand, international students, who can never achieve in-state residency will cost extra for the entire program, which does generally make it harder for international students to get into public state schools.

I do not think this is true for STEM programs, unless the school has a specific quota of the number of in-state admits it must make. If so, by nature of a smaller pool of applicants to compete against, your chances may be higher.

In-state students will cost the department a little bit less in the first year (out of state students take about a year to achieve residency). But this extra cost for one single year is unlikely to influence admission decisions. On the other hand, international students, who can never achieve in-state residency will cost extra for the entire program, which does generally make it harder for international students to get into public state schools.

Thanks! That's what I thought might be case, but I wasn't sure.

I don't think it makes an impact.  Also a lot of programs like to diversify their pool at PhD level, which is why a lot of programs don't select necessarily from its undergraduates (thought not impossible at all, much less likely).