Number of School to Apply to

Octopus28

Hi everyone! I'm curious how many school people are going to apply to. I originally had a list of 5 schools. From there, it expanded to 11. Now that I submitted 3 so far, I'm starting to think to go back to around 5-7 schools. Any advice?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've applied to 5 schools thus far, all in-reach schools. Nervous for applying for my two (huge) reach schools! But I think I'm going to do it... Being denied is probably better than not knowing at all. :)

Go for it! Bizarre things happen during application season. I have had friends be rejected from their safeties and get in at all of their reaches. Might as well go for it!

• 2 months later...

I applied to 10 schools. I have interviews at 2 so far, and a few more haven't sent out invites yet.  The 10 took me a lot of time and work and I don't know how people apply to more than 10 and really tailor their application to the program.

I planned to apply to 16 and had all my recommenders submit letters to 16 schools (oops, sorry!) 1-2 months in advance. But I ended up being the one procrastinating and started seriously working on my parts of the apps on Thanksgiving (all due Dec 1-ish). Needless to say I didn't have the time, or energy, to finish all of them. So I downsized my plan to 12, but decided to throw out UCLA, Chicago, UMich, and PSU as I was going through their faculty research in detail one last time due to poor research fit.

TL;DR: Applied to 8. In retrospect, 16 was insane and I'm glad I didn't apply to that many. (I did have my GRE sent to ~20 schools tho. ETS I'm staring at you in anger :/)