IHEID, Sciences Po, LSE for an American (or others?)

ccorc3

Hello all,

I am a recent graduate from a SUNY university, and I was wondering the feasibility of getting my master's degree abroad in Paris, Geneva or London. I'm thinking of getting an MIA from one of these universities, specifically in the field of international security where applicable (Sciences Po doesn't have a broad based MIA degree).

The logic behind my choices is that I spent a lot of time abroad in Europe, and I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing their education system. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Honors College in the US with about a year of internship experience under my belt (albeit seven months of it was event planning for the study abroad office  :() and two study abroad experiences, one in Finland and the other in Belgium for a combined 6 months. I'm taking my GREs next week, but I saw that they don't hold as much weight as other requirements.

If you guys have any suggestions for any other good MIA schools in Europe that fit my criteria, I would be grateful. I really wasn't able to find any other good ones outside of these three in Europe that are internationally renowned.

On a side note, I am also applying to Harvard and Princeton as total long shots, and Johns Hopkins, Tufts and UMich as US targets.

Thanks guys and I hope to help all of you through this process also!

You want a the Government Affairs forum. I can think of few professional style degrees in Europe in the vein of an MIA. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Blatnavik School of Government (Oxford) and IHEID, but you might have more luck in the right forum. 

Edited by AuldReekie

Hi Ccorc3! I just finished my Master's at Sciences Po last year (European Affairs), but had a few friends in International Security. I really enjoyed it; many of the professors are major figures in their field and the student body is from absolutely everywhere. That said, the experience is a bit different than a U.S style degree.

First of all, the emphasis is on breadth, rather than depth. You take at least 7 classes per semester, so generally you will pick up a relatively shallow knowledge base but get to know your broader field really well. Many of the professors are also practitioners, rather than academics. Some people like that, other people don't, but the basic point is that the emphasis is more empirical than theoretical for many classes.

But ya, it's definitely feasible coming from a U.S background, and don't worry about GREs (sciences po doesn't even ask for them). Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi Ccorc3! I just finished my Master's at Sciences Po last year (European Affairs), but had a few friends in International Security. I really enjoyed it; many of the professors are major figures in their field and the student body is from absolutely everywhere. That said, the experience is a bit different than a U.S style degree.

First of all, the emphasis is on breadth, rather than depth. You take at least 7 classes per semester, so generally you will pick up a relatively shallow knowledge base but get to know your broader field really well. Many of the professors are also practitioners, rather than academics. Some people like that, other people don't, but the basic point is that the emphasis is more empirical than theoretical for many classes.

But ya, it's definitely feasible coming from a U.S background, and don't worry about GREs (sciences po doesn't even ask for them). Let me know if you have any more questions!

That does sound interesting. Sciences Po seems to bit a bit less selective to international students, so I think I have a decent shot at it. Not sure about IHEID though. I've noticed a lot of these schools focus on students which are right out of undergrad, rather than in the U.S. where schools like Kennedy and Woodrow Wilson (Harvard and Princeton) tend to focus on people with job experience.

It's a bit of a mix. Many of the French students are right out of undergrad because at Sci-Po, the bachelor and masters are really viewed as different stages of the same thing (almost nobody stops after their bachelor). That said, most of the international students had a year or two of work experience, if not more.  

I appreciate the help NYCBluenose. This was the recurring issue I was running into, that no work experience will kill my app. There seems to be a cyclical problem, however, in that graduating with a Bachelor's in Political Science won't exactly run you right into a qualifying field of work and graduate school requires working!

I appreciate the help NYCBluenose. This was the recurring issue I was running into, that no work experience will kill my app. There seems to be a cyclical problem, however, in that graduating with a Bachelor's in Political Science won't exactly run you right into a qualifying field of work and graduate school requires working!

I wouldn't worry about it. At least at Sciences Po, lack of work experience definitely won't kill your app. To be honest, I doubt it would at American programs either (altho I've only applied to American PhDs, not terminal MAs).

Almost everywhere there's a mix of people with work experience and those coming straight from undergrad. They mostly just want to see that you have a strong academic background. a clear idea of your academic interests and how they figure into your career plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, NYCBluenose, 

Can you tell me how easy is it to get a policy job in europe/france after graduating Sciencespo? 

Would you recommend a Sciencespo/LSE or SIPA Dual degree or completing the entire two years in one university?

Vidyu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For Science Po, no work experience won't really matter. I literally have no real working experience but just received an admission from Science Po. :)