MFA Photography 2015

markeet

Hello everyone!

The application season is in full swing already and I find that it's a little bit too quiet here on gradcafe this year. I'm starting this topic now for everyone who is applying for mfa photography starting fall 2015 and I hope that we could all be good resource to each other from today on.

I'm two yeas out of college and am applying for mfa for the first time. I've just started to put together a portfolio and work on my statement of purpose (the writing has been more painful than the image editing so far). I'm curious as to where everyone else is at with their application and if there's any interesting information they would like to share regarding either school or application requirements or other things.

I'll shut up for now and I look forward to meeting a lot of you fellow applicants here soon!

Best,
Markeet

Hi Markeet,

I too am applying for the Fall 2015 program and I am in the same place as you. Currently working on my portfolio, cutting it down to the final 20. After my final cut, I will start to really hone in on my artist statement. I have already requested my LoR and started attending the Open Houses for the programs I am interested in. I have been out of school for 8 years and did not major in any type of art background.

What schools are you looking to apply to? Best of luck!!!

Hi ms. TMZ

Thanks. Good luck to you as well!

I feel like I am quite selective about schools because mfa as a degree doesn't mean too much for me and I really want to go to one of the best programs that can offer a both solid and challenging education. Currently I am most interested in Yale, Columbia, UCLA, USC and ICP- Bard. That being said, it's totally another question whether I could get into any of them lol.

How about you? What kind of work do you do?

Hi Markeet,

I live in NYC so I am applying to NY based programs (SVA, Columbia, ICP-Bard and potentially Parsons and NYU). I am strongly influenced by the work of Mary Ellen Mark and Henri Cartier-Bresson, I would say I am more narrative/documentary if I had to categorize my work. I am a big fan of SVA as their students work is very diverse and the school holds an amazing record of talent.

What about you? Who are your influencers? Have you gone to any open houses (if so, yay or nay on the schools?) 

If I wasn't applying to NYC programs, I would be looking into RISD, SAIC, Temple Univeristy and RIT.  

Hi ms. TMZ,

I currently live in new york as well. I'm an international student so I don't mind traveling to other places to attend school :) I've been to SVA and Parsons before and this year I only went to Columbia and ICP-Bard's open houses. They are both great programs but have different emphasis and dynamics. I think ICP-Bard has an open studio on 12/13 and it'll be a great opportunity to learn more about the program if you are interesetd.

• 1 month later...

Submitted everything! finger crossed

I'm still finalizing everything. Getting nervous.

Great school choices. We have a lot of overlaps. I guess we will be competing hahaha.

Good luck!

I'm still finalizing everything. Getting nervous.

Great school choices. We have a lot of overlaps. I guess we will be competing hahaha.

Good luck!

haha yes good luck to both of us!

none of my recommendation provider has submitted anything yet, probably gonna email them again soon.

Photo people! Hello!

I can't believe almost everything is due in ten days-- Anxiety much?

Anyway, I'm thinking about cleaning up my site some more, what do you guys think? I'm considering removing my "fictionisms" series, but I'm on the fence... Advice would be welcome!

Photo people! Hello!

I can't believe almost everything is due in ten days-- Anxiety much?

Anyway, I'm thinking about cleaning up my site some more, what do you guys think? I'm considering removing my "fictionisms" series, but I'm on the fence... Advice would be welcome!

I like your work.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Where are all of the photo people? :o

We're still here I think! Just silently waiting for interviews and such. I've heard back from UPenn and CCA so far for interviews...

Does anyone know if MICA or RISD photo do interviews? Or anyone heard from CalArts photo yet?

I would like to know if MICA does interviews, too.

maidenvoyage, I went to MassArt's application and the status was changed from "application under review" to "interview." But that's all, no email yet.

Also obsessing over Columbia.

anyone else bitten their nails down to the bottom?

this is a terrible process. still waiting on ucla and risd

heard back for interviews at yale, saic and cca so far - presumed rejection at calarts since they already sent out invites - anyone else going to these schools for interviews? 

heard back for interviews at yale, saic and cca so far - presumed rejection at calarts since they already sent out invites - anyone else going to these schools for interviews? 

I had my interview for CCA over skype. It was a super easy, great conversation with the head of the department. I also asked for a Skype interview with CalArts, but haven't heard back about timing/logistics. Also waiting on UCLA and RISD. I don't have any fingernails left!

I'd love to see your work if you don't mind sharing! You can see mine at http://goo.gl/lygEBE.

I had my interview for CCA over skype. It was a super easy, great conversation with the head of the department. I also asked for a Skype interview with CalArts, but haven't heard back about timing/logistics. Also waiting on UCLA and RISD. I don't have any fingernails left!

I'd love to see your work if you don't mind sharing! You can see mine at http://goo.gl/lygEBE.

omg! we totally know each other. pm-ing you. 

hey maelstrom9 may i see you site as well?

love to pm you mine!

maidenvoyage, did you hear from MassArt yet?

Hey I emailed them couple days ago still haven't heard back. 

I have been super nervous because lots of people here are invited to interview.

Perhaps they don't review application until it is completed

I haven't sent them bank statement yet