GRE Verbal160, Math161... Ivy's East Asian Studies Qualified??

gradschoolowl

Hi fellas, I got a 160 on verbal and 161 on math, with a GPA of 3.63. I have internship experiences in both china and america (CCTV, Phoenix New Media, CNN, Showtime, etc). Went to NYU for undergrad.

Just wondering if I have a good chance of getting into the East Asian Studies Programs at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. I know my GPA isn't my strongest suit... Is my GRE low for these schools? 

Any thoughts?  :)

I think your GPA/GRE put you above the cutoff without problems; the admissions depends on the rest of your application. By the way I have similar stats; I sent my CV to professors while inquiring about grad school at Harvard, Yale etc. and they all encouraged me to apply. As I said, then getting in is a different matter.

Applemiu,

Could you explain the process of sending your CV to professors? Do you send such a document in the first e-mail, or do you attempt to establish some form of rapport with them before?

Thanks!

I know the question was directed at Applemiu, but I personally sent my CV as a pdf file attached to my initial e-mails to professors. I always noted towards the bottom of my e-mail that I attached my CV for their reference. They were always quite pleased to receive it, even if they weren't accepting students at the time. Many professors will keep CVs on file in case they have a future opening (i.e. they receive more funding, a student quits the program, etc). It's also possible that they might pass your CV on to someone else if they were really impressed with you but don't have an opening.

Yes, I did the same as shadowclaw. I tried to send POIs brief and simple emails with all the information they needed. I added, usually in parenthesis "I attach my CV for your reference". It takes just a click to open it.

Very interesting. Did not know you can be in touch with profs from the schools you're applying to! Is it going to help raising the prospective of getting accepted to the program if I do so? But it seem a little bitt too late in the process to build a relationship now... since the applications are due in like a month... or is it? 

I don't think it is too late, but it depends on the program. It is customary for Psychology, were you are accepted into a specific lab, but less so for the humanities. I suggest you post or make a search on your specific program forum.