contacting profs

nuih

To people who are in grad school, or were, or applying ,whatever haha... did you contact your current supervisor before applying? And did you only get acceptances from schools where you contacted people prior to applying?

I'm wondering because a few months back, I contacted this prof at UofT, the only one with common research interests, about graduate supervision. At first things seemed ok, but when we met again he said he might retire in 3 years so unless I get joint supervision, he probably won't take me in. I don't want joint supervision (not so good exp w undergrad thesis), and I already paid my application, so I'm going to apply anyways. But I seriously cannot find another prof who shares research interests. The prof I contacted did say that if my application does get passed on to the faculty, someone else may find me interesting and take me in... but I would feel more confident if I had contacted someone, you know?

Any thoughts, opinions, etc would be appreciated~ thanks all! :D

If you haven't found anyone else with whom you share research interests, would you even accept the offer in case you get admitted? 

I think that if you don't think you're a good fit for anyone else in the department, then they probably will feel the same way when they read your application. 

If you think that any professors there even marginally match your research interests, I'd say contact them and ask about it.  Did the professor you talked to suggested any names in particular (for joint supervision)?

My experience was that I contacted at least one person in every institution I applied to. I actually had a case similar to you; in one of the places the prof I was interested in was about to retire and there was no one else I thought was a good match. This was one of the places I didn't get accepted to, and I think it made complete sense why. 

Thanks for sharing your exp!

In regards to your first point, I'm hoping that there might be a professor with similar interests, but an outdated website/blurb of their interests online and that's why I didn't notice him/her. I talked to a grad student about this and she thinks that it might be possible, but we're both obviously skeptical haha. But yeah, I won't accept the offer if it turns out no profs have similar interests.

Second point: Thanks for your advice. I think I will contact those with marginally similar interests. Unfortunately, the prof I talked to didn't suggest any names, and when I suggested some, he gave me stories and reasons for why person A and B are not good, etc, etc... I think I'll email them anyways tomorrow.

To people who are in grad school, or were, or applying ,whatever haha... did you contact your current supervisor before applying? And did you only get acceptances from schools where you contacted people prior to applying?

I never contacted anyone, so every one of my acceptances was from a school where I had no prior contact with anyone before my acceptance. (Most didn't do interviews, including the school whose offer I accepted.)

That said, every school that accepted me had several professors who were potential advisors, with significant overlap in research interests. I didn't apply to places that only had one potential match because of concern like you are mentioning -- what if we didn't get along, or they left, etc. I guess if you've already paid you don't have much to lose, but honestly I wouldn't want to attend such a school. You'd be setting yourself up for a world of pain. How can you get through a PhD without at least minimal supervision?

If you haven't found anyone else with whom you share research interests, would you even accept the offer in case you get admitted? 

I think that if you don't think you're a good fit for anyone else in the department, then they probably will feel the same way when they read your application. 

Maybe this is only applicable to biology: I've heard from many within academia who claim that if the program does not have anyone doing anything in the same area of interests as you then you will not be admitted no matter how awesome your application is.  That is to my understanding why it is so important to reach out to faculty members prior to applying. 

Thanks for all the input.

My supervisor said the same thing (@Crucial BBQ). She told me that I shouldn't take it personally if I do get rejected -- in that I'm not a bad student. If I do get rejected, it's most likely because the timing/circumstances are not aligned. So contacting beforehand is a good strategy because you at least retain some control.

Thanks for all the input.

My supervisor said the same thing (@Crucial BBQ). She told me that I shouldn't take it personally if I do get rejected -- in that I'm not a bad student. If I do get rejected, it's most likely because the timing/circumstances are not aligned. So contacting beforehand is a good strategy because you at least retain some control.

Yup, they could be on sabbatical; still at the university but retired from research; no longer at the school; broke; and so on.  Academics are notorious for their lack of ability to communicate with the world outside of the Ivory Tower.  Updating their personal page/lab website more often than once a decade could be a start.  

I think it's good to ask if your POI has a space for grad student, but other than that, I doubt they have much to do with the admission process. 

Based on conversations I have had, they really don't.  Individual POIs have no idea of what the rest of the application pool looks like and the decision is ultimately that of the adcoms.