Programs in sociology of internet/new media culture?

kilenee

Hi all,

I just started my masters in cultural sociology in UK, and am planning to apply to phd programs next year.

My interest is a bit interdisciplinary, coming from media studies background in undergrad. 

Can you guys suggest any programs with professors researching internet, art, and culture? I'm looking into other interdisciplinary or media and communication programs as well. The only sociology program I can think of at the moment is princeton, with Dimaggio, and possibility media programs in NYU, Northwestern, and Brown (MCM). Any other programs or names that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

I'm interested in the same things, so I can tell you where I'm applying.

I'm applying to Princeton, UC San Diego, Rutgers, Boston University, MIT (their HASTS degree), University of Pennsylvania.

I almost applied to: Duke, Brandeis, NYU (Media and Communications).

I'm also interested in why you are looking to come to the US. I've thought about getting my master's in the UK rather than jumping into the full PhD program because it seems like there are more people in the UK doing research on the internet and culture.

Thank you all! 

PhillyCJ: it's nice to meet someone with similar interests! To be honest, I had zero background in sociology until about two months from now, and while UK certainly seems rich in cultural sociology and research on internet/culture as you mentioned, my decision to go back to US has to do a lot with where I would want to live/start my career in. There are also financial reasons as well; as much as UK universities provide funding for many of their phd students, the number incomparable to US, where financial package is guaranteed for all of their accepted students. 

Certainly hoping this one year master will help me gain a enough background in sociology and research for me to get into a phd program.. May I ask what your background is, and what your interests are specifically? 

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the UK as an insider; to me it looks perfect! But of course I know that it can't actually be perfect.

I'm sure the master's degree will help you immensely. My background is also not in sociology, though I do have a minor in it from undergraduate. The only reason I'm applying to PhD programs directly without first getting a master's degree is because I was able to publish an article. I'm hoping my article will be the extra push I need to get into the top-tier programs that I've applied for. Otherwise, I'll be applying for and pursuing a terminal master's degree first. (And actually, I was published in Sociology, one of the British Sociological Association's journal.)

I'm interested in social psychology and issues of identity, selfhood, etc. as they pertain to online interaction. My interests may change through the years of my master's/PhD, but this is what interests me most right now.

Wow. I don't mean to be too inquisitive, but did you manage to publish as an undergraduate? It would be very helpful for me if you could share how you got published! I was hoping there would be more opportunities in the masters program, but since it's a 1 year masters, no one is really guiding anyone about publications, conferences, etc... 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I was able to publish it the summer after I graduated from undergrad.  I really just dove into the process myself; I had an interesting idea and started to write on it, and when my prof saw what I was working on he told me to pursue publication. From that point, I worked on my literature review for the article and submitted it to a few journals. It was rejected by the first, but accepted by the second.

I'm not sure how much help I can be, unfortunately; I think the process can be simpler than it seems, it just remains unknown if you don't try it out. I will say, it consumed many, many hours of my time. I had to work very hard for my literature and to bring it all together. But I think it was worth it!