Current Cornell CIPA MPA student. Ask me anything!

arbitist

Hello everyone,

I am currently a first year Masters in Public Administration fellow at the Cornell Institute of Public Affairs. I was in the exact same position as you guys this time last year and would be happy to answer any questions about the application process and the program to help you get rid of some of those dilemmas (I know, there are soo many). Hit me up!

Cheers!

Hi Arbitist -

Although I know quite a bit about the Cornell MBA, I don't know a lot about the Cornell MPA (I understand they are two completely different programs). What would you say are the top 3 differentiation markers / best points of CIPA?

(Besides the people. Everyone says the people, which is nice, but doesn't help me figure out how to help someone decide between one school or another. Except, if it's not the people, I'd like to know why, because that would be pretty interesting).

Thank you for being willing to answer our questions during what I imagine is a super-busy (and fun) time for you at school.

I'm interested to know what your decision making process was like. Once you knew your options and funding levels, what made you choose CIPA over all the rest?

Hello MJA87,

CIPA reduced its tuition this year, and that coupled with the funding i got from them meant that it would cost me almost the same as Duke. I got no funding from Columbia SIPA, and the tuition is much higher and its extremely expensive to live in NYC. I also got an on campus job, and that sealed my decision. I know from friends who are in Columbia that it's almost impossible to get an on campus job in the first year. Finances were at the top of my concerns ( knowing that all 3 schools were great), and i felt like CIPA gave me a really good deal!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi Arbitist -

Although I know quite a bit about the Cornell MBA, I don't know a lot about the Cornell MPA (I understand they are two completely different programs). What would you say are the top 3 differentiation markers / best points of CIPA?

(Besides the people. Everyone says the people, which is nice, but doesn't help me figure out how to help someone decide between one school or another. Except, if it's not the people, I'd like to know why, because that would be pretty interesting).

Thank you for being willing to answer our questions during what I imagine is a super-busy (and fun) time for you at school.

Hi Kaneisha,

The people ARE great! Haha. But besides that, i would say the flexibility of the program makes it stand out. You are allowed to take classes from all across Cornell, as long as they are relevant to public policy, and personally, i have been able to make good use of this. So you can choose classes at the Business school, law school or in development sociology etc and use that to add value to your specific concentration. Secondly,there's also a lot of personal attention given to each Fellow (as MPA candidates are called here). Each one us has a personal advisor who is a core faculty member to help in each stage of the course: choosing courses, deciding internships etc. My advisor is a really well known economist who is from Cornell's labor econ school, and this has really made a difference to what i thought i would be doing at grad school and what i am doing now. The third thing i would say is the alumni network. CIPA reaches out to its alumni base a LOT for internships and jobs, and i have heard a lot of people saying how beneficial that is. I will start looking for summer internships soon, and i'll find out for myself. But i know for a fact that CIPA's connections at the World Bank and UN are great, and its similar with the private sector. So i would say there are a lot of resources that CIPA has, but you have to be super pro-active in seeking what you really want. 

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

A

Are your peers able to secure the same kinds of internships as students from DC/NYC schools? Is the program as international as you'd have liked? Or more USA/old world centric?

Hey,

I would say yes. Like i've mentioned in the earlier posts, CIPA relies heavily on its alumni base in NYC and DC and that is quite an advantage.

Almost 60 percent of the MPA class is international, so it's a great mix (a majority are from China). The experience level of the cohort is quite diverse too, so its good to have that dialogue between people who have worked for a few years and those who are just out of under grad. Although, the program itself is super flexible so like me, you will find yourself taking classes with a variety of people.

Also an Indian student, I had the same questions as you last year. I'm happy to talk about it more if you wish :)

Thanks for offering yourself as a resource. I'm applying to CIPA for next fall and I have a few of questions:

1. Would you say that the admissions committee cares a lot about high GRE scores? And do you think Quant is weighed more heavily than Verbal?

2. What would you say were the strongest aspects of your application last year?

3. WWS focuses on demonstrated committment to public service and HKS prefers international experience. What would you say is the single variable that CIPA focuses on when considering applicants?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone above!

I submitted CIPA MPA application on Jan 4 and completed the online video interview on Jan14. But so far my "application status" is still "in progress", only the "checklist" is "complete".

I wonder whether those of you who also apply for CIPA received a "complete" email from the admissions. So far I have two emails: one about "submitted", the other is from Kira Talent" noticing me my online interview had be completed.

Thank you and good luck!