University of Michigan MSW Applicants

LotusInABox

Does anyone know what it means to be interviewed by U of M? Its it normally a good thing or a bad thing. I received an email saying what there decision is and all it said that they wanted to interview me. My application status says complete though? Any help would be great! Also anyone applied to the special programs? How do you know if you're in or not?

Has anyone accepted to UofM heard anything about financial aid, scholarships, or fellowships yet?

I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe they're waiting until they look at all the March 1 deadline applicants? I have no idea.

Does anyone know what it means to be interviewed by U of M? Its it normally a good thing or a bad thing. I received an email saying what there decision is and all it said that they wanted to interview me. My application status says complete though? Any help would be great! Also anyone applied to the special programs? How do you know if you're in or not?

I asked for an interview. I am guessing if they are asking you for one, they probably have some questions regarding your application and have not made a final decision yet. The questions they ask are a little strange but easy enough to not worry about. Good luck!

Still waiting for the acceptance letter after seeing admission last week on Wolverine Access. I applied for Global Activities Scholars Program and would be incredibly shocked if I was accepted to that (basically applied as a "why not"). Would I find out that information in the acceptance letter or at a later point? Thinking about switching to one of the Peace Corps programs if t is possible to do so after I know my status about GASP.

Masters International Health track! Are you as well?

I'm not but I did the Peace Corps and applied to the Coverdell fellowship for RPCVs at Umich.  If we end up there together I'm happy to talk Peace Corps with you :)

Still waiting for the acceptance letter after seeing admission last week on Wolverine Access. I applied for Global Activities Scholars Program and would be incredibly shocked if I was accepted to that (basically applied as a "why not"). Would I find out that information in the acceptance letter or at a later point? Thinking about switching to one of the Peace Corps programs if t is possible to do so after I know my status about GASP.

You'll find out separately. I received my admission letter first and was contacted about a month later for a GASP interview (I applied Dec 1st). They told me they send their choices to the financial aid office and then the financial aid will notify applicants if they were chosen for GASP as part of their whole financial aid package. I think they're still reviewing the second round of GASP applicants.

You'll find out separately. I received my admission letter first and was contacted about a month later for a GASP interview (I applied Dec 1st). They told me they send their choices to the financial aid office and then the financial aid will notify applicants if they were chosen for GASP as part of their whole financial aid package. I think they're still reviewing the second round of GASP applicants.

Did they give you a sense of when you might hear the final decisions for GASP/financial aid package?

I'm not but I did the Peace Corps and applied to the Coverdell fellowship for RPCVs at Umich.  If we end up there together I'm happy to talk Peace Corps with you :)

Hey ceapa421, I am also an RPCV and applied for Coverdell! Have you heard anything from them? Interviews, emails, etc? I have heard nothing, considering reaching out but instead, I am incessantly checking these boards!

Hey ceapa421, I am also an RPCV and applied for Coverdell! Have you heard anything from them? Interviews, emails, etc? I have heard nothing, considering reaching out but instead, I am incessantly checking these boards!

No - I haven't heard a thing! In my admissions letter it said we'd hear before March 1st but at this point that means we should hear today.  It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard. I finally broke down and wrote to them last night just to get a sense of when we MIGHT hear - I will let you know if/when I hear back from the.  Good luck and fingers crossed for both of us :)

No - I haven't heard a thing! In my admissions letter it said we'd hear before March 1st but at this point that means we should hear today.  It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard. I finally broke down and wrote to them last night just to get a sense of when we MIGHT hear - I will let you know if/when I hear back from the.  Good luck and fingers crossed for both of us :)

Awesome!

Yesterday when I got my postal mail, there was a UMichigan envelope. Tore it open thinking it might have some shred of important information. But it was just a poster with general information about the school. Like a brochure in poster form. So odd. 

Yesterday when I got my postal mail, there was a UMichigan envelope. Tore it open thinking it might have some shred of important information. But it was just a poster with general information about the school. Like a brochure in poster form. So odd. 

Are you still waiting on your finaid info too??  

I guess we are all in the same boat. I guess it makes me feel better to know that no one's heard and that this doesn't mean I didn't get anything.  I had written to them this morning.  I'm sure they're overloaded with last minute stuff with March 1 applicants.  Fingers crossed for all of us! :)

I also applied for the global activites program. Do you happen to know when  we would hear back from them?

They said in theory i should know by the end of this week (i interviewed last week), but it all depended on the financial aid office. So march 13 at the latest.

So when you applied for U of M did they said they would like to interview? I got an email with saying they would like to interview me to dicuess my application. I have a pretty crazy life story so I imagine they want to know more about that. If you dont mind what kind of interview questions do they ask? How long did it last. I have to do mine over the phone since I live in San Francisco.

So when you applied for U of M did they said they would like to interview? I got an email with saying they would like to interview me to dicuess my application. I have a pretty crazy life story so I imagine they want to know more about that. If you dont mind what kind of interview questions do they ask? How long did it last. I have to do mine over the phone since I live in San Francisco.

My interview was for the Global Activities Scholars Program, not necessarily my application in general, but I'm sure there would be similar questions. Things like: Why did you pick your practice area and concentration? What do you want to do after you graduate/how can the degree help you get there? I'd also think of 3 strengths and weaknesses of yours and how they might apply to grad school/MSW. Also specific examples of leadership; overcoming a failure; possibly hardship. If you're life story is unusual then be sure to know your narrative and how it translates to an MSW degree and what you want to do with it and you should be just fine.

My interview lasted 30 minutes and I did it over Skype, so don't worry about doing it over the phone. Also, don't be afraid to take a minute or two to think of your response. Silence is awkward on the phone, so a lot of us feel the need to respond right away. There's nothing wrong with saying, "let me think about this for a second," while you compose your answer. 

Good Luck!!