University of Michigan MSW Applicants

LotusInABox

Hello everyone,

I am a new (late) comer and this is my 2nd attempt into the MSW Program. I'm a Universtiy of Southern California student looking to transfer for Fall 2015. (GPA 3.7). I recently swore into the Navy as a Reservist and due to ship the 1st of April. I checked UMICH and saw that my application was not complete. I called and received a application complete status shortly thereafter. I hope to join others who have been accepted. In my case, University of Michigan is my only option...I must complete an on campus degree for the program I'm interested in with the Navy. Pray and wish for me please and thank you! Congrats to those who have been admitted!

I appreciate this forum, it has helped to decrease my adrenaline!! :)

Hello!

Does anyone else have experience with this years Alternate / Wait List? I applied Feb 1st, got on on the list a few weeks later.  I flew there for an interview which I think went well, but by no means my best performance.  I interviewed last weds, and they said they would reevaluate my application that Friday. Its a week later today and I am debating whether or not to call and check in. I purposely applied early to be considered priority for financial aid, but being waitlisted has jeapordized all those efforts. 

Thoughts, insights???

This is my top choice, but is it worth out of state full priced tuition in a field that has an exetremely low monetary ROI?

At least you had an interview and have heard things from them! I applied mid-January and have not heard a thing except a link to check my application status. I'm assuming that's bad news for me. Oh well!

I have asked the "is it worth it?" question to a few of my social work professors and they all said "No." The common response was that since our field isn't as competitive as say...... medical school...... the prestige of the program in social work is not worth $40,000 a year. They all went to state schools and have very good jobs! So I think I'll go for a cheaper option, since I have heard back from my other schools and got into all of them!

Hi Ali,

My Wolverine Access page said "Application Complete" for about a month and a half and while I had the application in on December 1st, I didn't have a recommendation in until around Jan 10. Then 2 weeks ago, I saw an acceptance decision. I wouldn't give up just yet. Best of luck!

Where exactly did the view decision appear on your Wolverine Access Page?

By my request, I had an admissions interview. I will wait eagerly to get a decision. I guess I will join those that check Wolverine Access every other minute to see if a decision has been made, lol. :ph34r:

Anyone hear back about Scholars program? (Specially National Scholars Program if anyone applied for it!)

Also, Anyone hear back about Merit Based Financial Aid? If so, How much money did you get?

Received an email the other day that I got waitlisted and Wolverine Access has not updated anything about my status - so maybe stop checking that obsessively lol. I already accepted my admission at OSU, so no biggie. I didn't even have an interview with them or anything so I kinda suspected it!
Good luck everyone!!!

I applied for a Scholars program and haven't heard back. I'm figuring no news is bad news.... :unsure: I was mostly excited about the training opportunities associated with the program. The scholarship would have helped, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I was reading through the responses on this thread and wanted to share my own story.

I applied to UMich on 12/18, and was waitlisted in February. I called U of M the next day to request an interview, and was told I could do a phone interview with Tim Collenbeck(sp)? 

Anyhow, when I called in to do the phone interview- he suggested I just come in for a face-to-face interview (apparently you ARE allowed to request in person interviews as well)! 

I went the first week of March for my interview. I made them a nice portfolio that outlined more of my skills, but also my personality because I feel like they don't get to know the individual through the paper process.

I heard back three weeks later with an official acceptance offer for the AS program for the fall. 

I would say if you're waitlisted to see about getting an interview. U of M was the only school I applied to. Don't give up! =) It could make the difference.