Personal Statement

daisydukes

In writing my personal statement, one the questions asks to describe my capacity with diverse populations. 

I am not sure if they want me to actually tell stories of situations I was in with diverse populations, or lean more towards just state the population i gained experienced with, and what i learned from it?

Help please! 

They are trying to gauge your cultural competence. I would suggest to go about that question by stating in what capacity you have worked with diverse populations and back that up with a story or two. So if you have worked as a case manager with the Latino population I would say so then maybe talk about one client and how your helped them.....

This is what I did in my personal statement. I started with a story and carried that story throughout my statement as I wrote about my experience and my interests.

They are trying to gauge your cultural competence. I would suggest to go about that question by stating in what capacity you have worked with diverse populations and back that up with a story or two. So if you have worked as a case manager with the Latino population I would say so then maybe talk about one client and how your helped them.....

This is what I did in my personal statement. I started with a story and carried that story throughout my statement as I wrote about my experience and my interests.

I broke my essay down into sections. 

1. experience with people with disabilites

2. with people of low SES

3. people of different cultures

i explained where i gained this experience at, and what i learned from it, and gave an example for each one.